Shower runs when tub runs

Old 01-23-08, 08:05 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Shower runs when tub runs

I can't find this anywhere so im just going to ask.

I have a shower built into my tub.The shower head is built into the wall and sticks out about a foot give or take.
The handle to turn the water on is one handle for both the cold and hot water.
The faucet has the normal diverter on it.
When you run the tub the shower also runs.It started out slow but now it has a really good amount of water coming out.
I want to do this myself if I can.
Two people have worked on it and the water stopped coming out of the shower head for a short while.
I have replaced washers and nothing works.
Any ideas??

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-08, 10:15 AM
T
Typically, the shower runs because the diverter at the tub faucet is engaged. (It's a simple "plug type" diverter that sends water upwards instead of out the spout). Sounds as if this diverter is not moving out of the way and forcing some of the water flow to the shower head. It could (could be) be as simple as replacing the faucet/diverter assembly with one that doesn't "stick".

Old 02-16-08, 08:23 PM
P
Hi, I seen this before on the same faucet that you described. The problem was the shower head was fed from a tee on the pipe feeding the tub spout. Water pressure would cause the water to climb to the shower head when the tub was filling. The simple fix that I used was a water saver on the shower head. If you don't know what I mean it is simply a valve that threads on to the shower arm and your shower head threads on to it. You can find them at any building supply store, they usually come in plastic or chrome. Good luck.