how to remove "roman tub" faucet?

Old 01-27-08, 05:46 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
how to remove "roman tub" faucet?

I am sprucing up the garden tub in my Master Bath. It needs a new "roman" tub fixture as the old is so oxidized. I talked to Delta and I have narrowed down a few wife-approved models that will work with the rough in/valves already there. I have new trim kit on special order from Lowes that should do the trick.

Ok, now to the question....or my idiocy as the case may be.

I cannot figure out how to get the old faucet off. Knobs were no problem. On the spigot, there is a littte round cap. I popped it off. About 1/2 inch in is an old and kinda discolored/rusty bolt of some kind. Looks like a hex/"allen" type deal. I am guessing a 1/8 hex. So I got that 1/8 allen bit out of my drill bit set and attempted to get the bolt out, assuming the faucet will then just kinda lift right out. The bit seems to fit, but the facuet is not disengaging... And I am afraid if I keep trying, I will strip the bolt (looks a bit stripped already, before I even went in, to be honest) and then really be screwed. Stuck having to hacksaw the damn facuet off or something.

I am not real handy, admittedly. But am I just dumb, too? Am I missing something obvious here? Any help is appeciated. Thanks!!!

Old 01-27-08, 06:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
You will have to gain access to the underside of the faucet area. Have you done that, yet?

Old 01-27-08, 07:55 PM
T
no, I haven't. that sounds like bad news.

I didn't know you had to do that. I thought when I talked to Delta they said you could just change out the trim. that is, reuse the valves and such that are already in there.

Just based on the way it sits, there is no way to access under the tub. backs up to a tile shower, an exterior wall, and then it has no "skirt." that is, it sits right on the ground.

any ideas are appreciated.

Old 01-28-08, 04:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
OK, I misunderstood what you were doing. I thought you wanted to change out the entire valve assembly. You just want to decorate it up pretty, right? Why not post a couple of pictures on a site such as photobucket.com and post the HTML code in your next post to us. That way we can see what you see.

Old 02-01-08, 06:44 PM
P
do you have the new trim in hand? if you've been guaranteed that the trim available from delta will fit on your valve, i would order the new trim and when it gets to you it will be much clearer on how the old stuff comes off. otherwise, pictures are a must to help you out any.

paul

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: