Caulking acrylic shower surrounds

Old 01-29-08, 07:54 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Caulking acrylic shower surrounds

I have used DAP kitchen and bath caulk on my shower surround and it has turned reddish brown and pulled away from the acrylic. I am going to try again with silicone latex caulk. What product should i use to 1) remove the old caulk and/or 2) ensure that the acrylic will be clean and will accept the new caulk effectively?

Old 01-30-08, 04:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Whoa, stop. Use no acrylic caulk in a shower/tub area. Although they are specifically "made" for that purpose, they age poorly and support mold growth. Remove all the existing caulking in the area, clean the residue with alcohol or other mild remover products so as not to degrade the surface of the shower/tub or surround. Allow it to dry THOROUGHLY, even if it means installing a fan in the shower for a day. Once it is DRY, proceed to applying a product such as GE Silicone II. The problem is any moisture under the caulk will turn to mold, and will telegraph to the surface. GE Silicone II or similar products don't support mold growth if applied properly. Let us know if we can help further.

Old 01-30-08, 06:12 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks Chandler. My post wasn't clear - the shower surround is acrylic, not the caulk :-)

The caulk I used was DAP kitchen and bath. It wasn't silicone, though.

SO - i think your original post still stands with the recommendation to use the GE silicone II.

Thanks!

Old 01-30-08, 03:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Yes, it would. It will help keep down the dreaded mold. Good luck with it, and let us know if we can help further.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: