How much higher can a toilet go?

Old 01-31-08, 05:04 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How much higher can a toilet go?

I am in a condo and have had 5/8" wood floors installed, except for bathrooms. I would now like to add tiles to the bathrooms so that the floors are at the same level. Question is on the toilet drain. The floor is concrete and the flange with the bolts to hold toilet is in the concrete. If I add to the floor height, I'm assuming I would need concrete, membrane, thinset, tile & grout in that order creating a 5/8"to 6/8" floor. What happens to the toilet drain? Do I need to remove the existing flange and is there some way to extend the height of the drain?
Hope that makes sense, I will hire someone to do this, but need to know what to plan for.
As an aside, this condo ownership is worse than owning a house, rules and regulations, fees and no way to change the things that connect into my space, like plumbing.
Condo Girl

Old 01-31-08, 10:08 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
They make extension flanges just for cases like this. Since you are going to have this done rather than DIY all you need to do is advise the plumber you need an extension flange.

Do NOT settle for a doubled-up wax ring as it is not as reliable and is not the PROPER way to do the job.

Old 02-01-08, 12:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just make sure the extension flange is sealed and secured properly. If not it will leak between the extension and existing flange. Good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: