My Shower Leaks...Could Use Some Help :)

Old 02-07-08, 05:29 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My Shower Leaks...Could Use Some Help :)

I have a bathtub/shower combo with a hot water valve and a cold water valve.

The hot water shuts off. The cold water doesn't.

It's not just a drip either; but a steady trickle of water. I have a feeling this will end up costing quite a bit in water and it leaves rust stains in my tub.

I removed the handle (it was stuck on pretty tight) and had to cut away a little bit of tile; but, if I understand there is a valve or something that I need to remove. I need to use a 'shower wrench' and unscrew something; right?

Well, I can see the thing I want to unscrew and I have a shower valve - so why am I posting here? Because it DOESN'T FIT?!?!

The valve I've got says 29/32 on one side and 31/32 on the other. The 29/32 doesn't fit; I can't get it on. 31/32 fits but not tightly; and when I start to turn, it slips off the nut.

I went to two stores (Home Depot and Ace) and neither sold anything between 29/32 and 31/32 (I figure a 30/32 or 15/16s is what I need?

Does this sound right? Am I missing something/doing something wrong? Where can I buy what I need?

Old 02-07-08, 05:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Go to a plumbing supply house. They will have a 15/16 socket that will fit. If not, turn the corner and go to the auto parts house and buy a deep well 15/16 inch wrench. You may have to use a pair of pliers on it to turn it as the ratchet may not fit in the square hole.

Old 02-09-08, 09:50 AM
R
Just a quick follow up question....

So far - I've had no luck. A 15/16s socket I bought fits on it perfectly, but it isn't deep enough and I can't turn it. I'll try to pick up a deeper one today.

My concern though is - if I couldn't find the tool to replace these stem valve (if that is what it is called) even if I do get it out; where am I going to be able to find a replacement for it?

Old 02-09-08, 04:32 PM
W
Received 12 Votes on 10 Posts
Hi, This sometimes works use the socket with out the ratchet let the stem stick out the hole where the ratchet goes when the socket is in place over the nut, turn the socket with channel locks or vicegrips. Remember turn the water supply off.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 02-09-08, 09:12 PM
R
Thanks for the advice everyone....

It was a real pain in the butt - but I found a great little plumbing supply store (it was a bit of a drive) but they had home-made super deep 15/16s shower socket they let me barrow (no charge - how cool is that).

I took it home; it worked great. I took out my old valve and replaced a washer on the end of it. I put it back in - only to find that I could not turn the handle - it was like I'd cross threaded it or something. Anyway, the whole thing was just a giant piece of rust at this point.

So I went back to the store and got the exact replacement part I needed. Works great now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: