whirlpool tub slime

Old 02-07-08, 08:08 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question whirlpool tub slime

Just purchased house that has a whirlpool tub. Everytime I turn on the jets, nasty slimy icky water shoots out. I'm sure it's from the water retained in the lines from the last time along with all the old body oils, soap etc from last user. What are you suppose to do about this? I have no instructions from the installation left by prior owners. Is this an ongoing issue? Always thought I would love having one of these, but having to run it twice just to clean out the jets is a waste of $$ & water.

Old 02-08-08, 03:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Try a small amount of dishwasher detergent and allow it to circulate through the system. It should dislodge the crud, and its properties make the surfaces it touches a little slick, so things shouldn't stick too much during the cleaning process.

Old 02-08-08, 06:42 AM
C
Received 139 Votes on 112 Posts
Contact the manufacturer of the tub. Most have a web site that will provide cleaning instructions for your tub. Mine recommends a monthly cleanout with a granulated dish detergent. Every other month I add 1/2 cup of bleach to the water.

Old 02-08-08, 08:37 AM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
When I test these at home inspections it's common for the water from the jets to be discolored with foul-smelling "gunk" when the pump is first started. In extreme cases this can this can get pretty gross - there are some inspectors who recommend wearing latex gloves when inspecting these tubs because of concerns about skin infections.

These problems are worsened by some bath oils, skin moisturizers, bubble bath additives and similar products.

The reason this can happen is because few owners of these tubs realize that they are supposed to be cleaned (purged) at least monthly, and that some manufacturers (ex: Jacuzzi) recommend that you purge them after every use:

http://jacuzzi.com/pdf/BR28000.PDF

We always include this information in the FYI section of our home inspection reports when we encounter a jetted tub, and many people are quite surprised to discover the amount of maintenance recommend to keep a jetted unit in sanitary condition.

Old 02-09-08, 07:32 PM
I
Thank You!

Thank you so much for the quick replies...and the links. I love this site, for someone that is such a novice as I am--it doesn't get much better than this forum!

Old 02-10-08, 06:01 PM
M
You got stuck...

with an older model that does not have MICROBAN tubing in the internal piping. We researched this before getting our new whirlpool tub. PVC is subject to microbial fungus and mildew attack...and it is tough to remove.
I highly recommend several treatments and flushes of the Clorox OUTDOORS bleach with some strong detergent...even consider TSP which is only available at finer paint stores like MAB, Sherwin Williams, etc. You won't find it at the Home Depot.
Good luck...

Old 02-11-08, 07:18 AM
C
Received 139 Votes on 112 Posts
Mark - Are you talking about "pure" TSP (Trisodium phosphate)? Cleaners sold as TSP are available everywhere including HD. Some have reduced phosphate content due to environmental concerns.

I would not use any product or chemical in any jetted tub that is not recommended by the manufacturer. I would also not use any bath products (especially soaps and oils) that are not recommended by the manufacturer.

Old 02-12-08, 03:59 PM
M
Originally Posted by cwbuff View Post
Mark - Are you talking about "pure" TSP (Trisodium phosphate)? Cleaners sold as TSP are available everywhere including HD.
Sorry, not at ALL Home Depots.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: