Strange toilet leak

Old 02-08-08, 05:06 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Strange toilet leak

I was replacing an old toilet that had been removed and reinstalled after the floors were refinished.
The area of the floor near the back of the toilet was tarnished black...apparently from a leak.
I thought it was the loose packing nut on the feed valve....so I proceeded to install a new toilet using an "extended" wax ring with the polyethene extension.
After shimming the toilet because of the warped flooring, incredibly the leak still appeared to be coming from the back end of the toilet...indeed a tiny bit of water appeared to be coming right out of the floor ! It was not the feed line or the valve....and I even shut off the water main to the house, and the leak persisted....I am still puzzled over the source of this water.
Any ideas ?

Old 02-09-08, 10:14 AM
M
Originally Posted by marksimms View Post
I was replacing an old toilet that had been removed and reinstalled after the floors were refinished.
The area of the floor near the back of the toilet was tarnished black...apparently from a leak.
I thought it was the loose packing nut on the feed valve....so I proceeded to install a new toilet using an "extended" wax ring with the polyethene extension.
After shimming the toilet because of the warped flooring, incredibly the leak still appeared to be coming from the back end of the toilet...indeed a tiny bit of water appeared to be coming right out of the floor ! It was not the feed line or the valve....and I even shut off the water main to the house, and the leak persisted....I am still puzzled over the source of this water.
Any ideas ?
Anyone with some thoughts on this problem ?

Old 02-10-08, 04:03 PM
W
Received 12 Votes on 10 Posts
Hi, Leaks are hard to find. Dry the floor and put paper on the floor. Also put some paper on the bottom of the tank bolts the wait for a while. Any leak will show up on the paper and will be very visible. If no leaks then flush the toilet and check again.
Good Luck woodbutcher

Old 02-10-08, 05:45 PM
M
Originally Posted by Woodbutcher View Post
Hi, Leaks are hard to find. Dry the floor and put paper on the floor. Also put some paper on the bottom of the tank bolts the wait for a while. Any leak will show up on the paper and will be very visible. If no leaks then flush the toilet and check again.
Good Luck woodbutcher
Thanks, but it's DEFINITELY not the tank bolts...as this is a new install of a new toilet...and the leak is the SAME as when the old toilet was installed.
Strangely, it seems as though some leak exists in a line underneath the toilet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: