Help Removing Tank From Bowl....

Old 02-09-08, 09:24 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help Removing Tank From Bowl....

I've learned there is a huge difference between how things should go on paper; and how they really go in real life...especially when it comes to plumbing.

On paper - I have two bolts in my tank that are attached to my base/bowl. I should remove those and lift the tank off.

In real life - the bolts and nuts have morphed into one single, giant, piece of rust! I've tried, REALLY HARD, to get em off...but no luck. If I turn the top of the bolt or the nut at the bottom - they both will spin without any trouble. If I try to hold the bolt with a socket wrench - no matter how hard I push down with a screwdriver, I just slip off the bolt. I managed to get one full turn on one of them - but it doesn't get any easier and I'm stripping the head of the bolt.

I tried using a hack saw between the bowl and the tank - thinking I could just cut through the screw but my hack saw still doesn't fit. I tried; but it just didn't work.

I don't know what else to do....

I'm thinking I could remove the whole toilet and replace it for ~$80-90 dollars but I'd have trouble fitting it in my car, so I might have to rent a truck.

Does anyone have any tips or advice for me?

Old 02-10-08, 05:55 AM
L
I would probably go after one end or the other with a small wheel on a rotary tool like a Dremel ... kind of like grinding away the head of a rivet.

Old 02-10-08, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Or use a nut-cracking tool if it will fit. Avail from most auto parts/hardware stores.

Something like this.

http://www.autozone.com/selectedZip,.../selectZip.htm

Old 02-10-08, 03:51 PM
W
Received 12 Votes on 10 Posts
Hi, This is how I do That. Put vicegrips on the bolt to keep it from spinning then start with a 1/8 drill bit, drill into the center of the slotted head work up to about 5/16 or 3/8 the bolt will fall out when you drill the head off.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 02-12-08, 08:54 PM
C
Sawzall or just a hack saw blade inserted between the bowl and tank, Its a little harder without the hack saw handle but it will work. you can also cut the nut from the bottom with a Dremel .

Old 02-13-08, 03:55 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
One more suggestion to keep mechanical stuff from bumping the porcelain, use your hack saw blade and tape up one end up about 3" with a good amount of electrical tape. Use that for your handle and insert the blade in the crack and have at it. The brass on the bolt should cut easily.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: