Kitchen sink trouble

Old 02-11-08, 02:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kitchen sink trouble

The strainer in one of the kitchen sinks needed to be replaced. Seemed like an easy job, and I know it is, but I am doing something wrong. It is a porcelain enameled sink. The strainer's directions said to use plumber's putty around the edge of the sink's opening. I tried it and let it sit overnight but it still leaked (around the opening). Then I tried a waterproof caulk and it still leaked. I am easily getting fed up because I was expecting this to be a quick project. Now we've resorted to keeping a bowl under the sink. Please help me! If someone could tell me step by step how to replace the strainer in a kitchen sink.

Old 02-11-08, 03:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I roll the putty in my hand and make a snake. Make it as thick as you want. When you tighten the drain nut do it slowly and make sure it comes out around the drain. Caulk is hard to seal.

Old 02-11-08, 05:51 PM
D
Mike is right about the plumbers putty. Plumbers putty never get hard or sets up, so when you are through there is no need to wait overnight. One thing I found to make this job a whole lot easier is to use a strainer that has thumbscrews on the underneath side. This makes tightening it a lot simpler.
Defintely do what Mike said with putty and don't be stingy with it. Whatever squeezes out when you tighten it down, just simply wipe it off.
Rich

Old 02-14-08, 03:17 PM
J
Yes it sounds like it has to do with the putty, make sure it squeezes out from all around.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: