Kitchen Sink, remove stuck lock nut?

Old 02-12-08, 06:24 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Kitchen Sink, remove stuck lock nut?

Hi!

I'm a light-duty DIY'er, and I have a leak in my sink. I tracked it down to a previous repair (typical, right?).

Evidently, I disturbed the seal on the strainer basket (or the gasket), and it started leaking -- a lot. The problem? Corrosion on the basin lock nut, making it so I cannot loosen it.

First, the only leverage I can find is the nut that connects the pipe (I guess a compression fitting); I removed the pipe and the compression sleeve, and tried to use the nut to twist one way while I pushed the other on the lock nut with a pipe wrench. No luck.

Any ideas? I sprayed the lock nut with some WD-40 to see if it would loosen it up, and I'll try again tomorrow morning, but thought you guys might have some tricks.

I saw somewhere else to put some pipe dope on the threads before putting the lock nut on ... I'll definitely do that, in case I have to remove this nut again.

Thanks in advance,
Prosthetic Lips (Tom)

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-08, 08:53 PM
C
I have removed many such mineral encrusted basket strainers. What I have done is use a hack saw blade inserted through the cross in the basket from the bottom, cut through the strainer toward the large nut that holds the strainer to the sink. When you get to the nut be very careful not to cut the sink. Once you cut the nut from the bottom you can insert a flathead screwdriver into the cut and twist to break the nut free from the sink and strainer.
If you are very good with a sawzall you can do it faster, not recomended for first timers

Hope that helps

Old 02-13-08, 05:21 PM
P
Smile The WD-40 worked!

Hey, Ron. Thanks for the reply.

Well, the next morning the WD-40 had done its trick, and I was able to remove the nut with no effort.

I'm sure the next step would have been the hacksaw (I was even thinking of where the saw was), luckily I didn't have to go there.

--
Prosthetic Lips (Tom)

Old 03-06-08, 06:34 PM
S
What I have done is since I have a PANCAKE compressor, and a air die grinder with a VERY thin cut off wheel I am able to cut the nut. I angle the cut off wheel so as to cut more of the large nut, then once I have cut thru it or at least most of it I have found that if I drive a flat screw driver in the cut portion then prying up I expose enough of the nut so that a pair of NEDDLE NOSE vise grips will grip such. Twisting usually breaks the nut, then normally the nut will spin off. If you continue to twist with the grips you can bend the large nut enough to allow the nut to just fall off.

Such often cuts into the basket strainer, but you are going to replace anyway.

Works for me.

Dale in Indy

Old 08-30-08, 02:09 PM
lock nut stuck due to hard water deposits, i try vinagar, wd40 a small hammer.. I dont have a saw an the area under sink vary small.
any other ideas?

Old 07-27-09, 01:38 AM
P
stuck lock nut

thanks to smith brother's reply, it gave me an idea to use my dremel to slice through and loosen it. Thanks!

Old 03-23-11, 01:51 PM
D
Took off Stubbron Kitchen Sink Basket Nut Easily

Hi,

In case anyone has this problem of a stuck/stubborn kitchen sink basket nut: I was able to easily take it off with that wonderful tool.....a Dremel. Put the cutting attachment on and it cut right through the nut (mine was plastic but it should cut through metal too) in about 10 seconds. Used a screw driver to separate it and it just fell off in defeat. I was surprised at how fast this was. I had bought the baset hold tool and the basket wrench but really didn't use it because of how easy the Dremel cut through the nut. Tada Hope this helps.

Dan

Old 12-05-11, 10:53 AM
J
The Dremel idea worked for me. The drain ring was stuck also and I cut it off too!
Thanks,
Dave

Old 12-15-13, 01:43 PM
C
The Dremel tool w/cut-off disk worked great .... until it cut all the way thru and the disk exploded, a piece of it hitting my lip

No damage done ... Always wear safety glasses working with a Dremel tool.

Thanks for the thread.