Shower drain trouble

Old 02-13-08, 06:42 AM
H
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Question Shower drain trouble

Hi,
I have a shower in my house with the drain "screen" built into the floor. However, the screen is not very fine and lots of hair gets into the drain. My husband has several times used a snake to pull hair clots back through the drain, but this is only so effective and is starting to become less so. So I guess I have a couple of questions:
1) My brother-in-law has a similar shower drain that has been cut out of the floor, presumably to make clog removal easier. Is this a good idea? If we did this are there any special considerations we should keep in mind?
2) Any suggestions on how to keep the hair out of there in the first place? (Aside from shaving my head, of course.)
Thanks in advance!

Old 02-13-08, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Cheap and simple, tho a bit ugly and inconvenient, is a 'hair catcher'. It's a small plastic item from most Box stores and probably a good hardware store. It just sits over the existing drain while you shower. Imagine a thin pancake with a shotglass sitting upside down in the center. The 'shotglass' part has very fine holes that would probably catch most of the hair. Then you just clean it off and put it out of the way when yer done. Less than $5.

Not sure what you meant when you talked about BinL's drain tho.

Old 02-13-08, 09:28 AM
H
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Thanks for the reply.
My shower floor is a single piece of molded plastic; the part over the drain pipe has some fairly large openings for the water to run through, but there is no depression at the drain, just sort of a general slope towards that spot. As it is now, I couldn't use a trap like the one you described, because there is no depression for the shot glass to sit in. In my BILs shower the part over the drain has been cut away from the rest of the floor so that it can be removed if necessary. If I did that I could use the trap you described and could also remove the clogs a lot more easily, but I've never done anything like that and wanted to see if anyone had any advice to share.

Old 02-13-08, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I didn't describe it well, the 'shotglass' doesn't have to fit into the drain, it can protrude up into the shower area also. Thats why i said it was sorta inconvenient. They work fine in tubs, where the drain is at one end, and you have less chance of stepping on it. Kind of a PITA if the drain was located in the center though.

There is the option, now that I understand better what you have, of just using a hole saw in a drill, right in the center above the pipe. Check at the store for a suitable auxiliary metal hair strainer, then get the right size hole saw (prob $7-10 bucks). Just a thought?

Someone else will pop up with something, give 'em time. Unlike me, most people have real jobs, LOL

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: