position an undermount sink

Old 02-14-08, 04:09 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
position an undermount sink

I have given the fabricator the template for my granite ctops.
I need to tell them where to position the sink. I have a D Shaped Elkay sink 21 x 18.

How far back from the front do I want it mounted?
Do I have to mount the faucet on the back corner and not along the back of the sink?

thank you very much

Old 02-15-08, 05:35 PM
Usually the countertop people are experienced in this area. You will need to determine if there is clearance in back....you don't want the faucet to be "crowded" towards the backsplash. It won't look good, and it will be hard to keep clean.

You could probably set up a "dummy" layout using some cardboard and the sink template, to see how it all will look. This is worth spending a little time and effort on, because once they cut the granite, there is no going back!

Old 02-15-08, 08:18 PM
C
Normal setback is about 3 1/2" to 4" from the front edge to sink opening. With a sink depth of 18 5/8" this leaves 3 3/8" on a 25 1/2" deep top. If you have a 3cm thick backsplash, then there's only 2 1/8" left, so there's not enough room for the faucet to be centered behind the sink. It will need to be offset one way or the other, or another sink chosen, if there's enough time. The fabricator wants you to tell them where to put the sink opening because they don't want to be responsible for it if you're not happy, and who can blame them? They didn't pick out the sink. Good luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: