Basement Shower Drain & Sink Drain issues

Old 02-16-08, 03:14 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Basement Shower Drain & Sink Drain issues

I am finishing my basement and have a few plumbing questions...some info on the home. My house was built in 1999, and I live in South Elgin, IL. It is a walkout basement and I do not have an ejector pump. The builder did the rough-in plumbing when the house was built.

There are 2 2" PVC pipes sticking out of the concrete floor along the back wall. They are approximately 5 ft apart from each other. There is a toilet drain sticking out of the concrete floor in-between the 2 2" pipes.

The pipe on the right comes out from a 12"x12" cut into the concrete, it has a 1.5" tee approx 3" below the floor sticking out horizontally and capped off with duct tape, and goes straight down to the gravel the rest of the way as a 2" pipe. Both pipes go up along the wall about 4', connect to each other via a 2" horizontal pipe, and it goes up into the ceiling.

The previous owner told me that the 2" pipe on the right was the shower drain. He also told me that the 2" pipe on the left was the drain for the sink.

I purchased a Swanstone shower floor, and the installation instructions say that the drain is designed for a 2" plastic drain pipe. I did not realize that the tee in the concrete cutout was 1.5" until I took off all the duct tape. I need to know if I can reduce the 2" pvc after the trap and connect it to the 1.5" stub?? Or did the builder intend this to be the sink drain. I already planned out the layout, and installed all the electric and framing based on what I was told.

If I can reduce the pipe after the trap, then this one issue is solved.

My next issue is the sink drain pipe on the left. I don't see a vent for it, so can I just tap into the 2" pipe that is on the left side for the bathroom sink??

I have pictures explaining all the above, so if you need them, I can e-mail them to you.

I hope I gave enough information and didn't confuse anybody more than I already am.

Thank you for your help!!!
Nick

Old 02-16-08, 08:24 PM
Sounds like it was roughed for a tub? I am suprised it is 1.5, you have to use 2 inch in Illinois for a shower. Cut back to the 2 inch and go from there, you may have to reconfigure. I would not try to reduce...you may have problems. As far as the sink, it may wet vent the toilet, which is ok. You will not see a vent, it will have to be run up to the ceiling after you install the drain fitting. Good luck!

Old 02-23-08, 05:48 PM
N
Thanks for your help. I will cut out the 1.5" and install a 2".

Much appreciated!!

Nick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: