toilet problem after remodel

Old 02-17-08, 09:55 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
toilet problem after remodel

Toilet drains slow until almost all the water is out of the bowl and burps/bubbles as it's getting really low.
Additional Info:
Bathroom has been gutted for 2 years. Replaced existing shower and sink, reinstalled old toilet, replacing everything but bowl and tank.
Toilet worked fine for first couple of days.
Live in Ohio (been cold up here), has been raining today (that when the problem started- today)
Plunger was of no avail.
Other toilet (back to back) works fine, all else is draining well.
Have septic system, and used the waxless seal for commode.
Hopefully that's enough info- am trying to avoid having an exorcism done- please help

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-08, 04:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! You have precluded the normal solutions, since the other toilet and sinks/tubs drain fine. Usually this is indicative of an occluded vent pipe. So we will be grabbing for straws to get a good answer. First is the toilet bowl and tank a matched set? Trying to make a low flow toilet by swapping tanks doesn't work, and will do what you have. If the tank has been replaced, you may want to install a new toilet.

Old 02-18-08, 12:28 PM
R
Original toilet put back in, only replaced 'guts'
One thing I forgot to mention was that when first put in, when it was still flushing, a bit of water shot up (consistantly) when the commode was flushed

Old 02-18-08, 07:09 PM
Is the small fill tube fitted to the top of the overflow tube to allow water to fill the bowl? Without a proper water level in the bowl, it won't flush, either.

Old 02-19-08, 12:01 AM
R
Hi,
I have everything hooked up correctly (at least I beleive I do!)
The bowl fills normally when the toilet is flushed.
I also pickup an auger today- didn't fix the problem but now I own one!!
Just because the commode has been sitting (drained) in my garage for over a year... and I've heard of things that have been dropped in the toilet that float- would my symptoms point to that as a possibility? I have no reason to believe that is the case but my daughter was 5y.o and played out in the garage and driveway during the summer.
I remember also having to clear the vent pipe when shortly after we mover in to our house. Not looking forward to climbing on the roof in the wintertime! But if it is the pipe at least it's a free fix and I don't have to pull the commode out!

Old 02-19-08, 05:15 AM
Morphin Rangers seem to be a big culprit in toilet clogs, and you have all the usual symptoms....5yo, toys, vacant toilet. Once they open up, they seem to grab the sides of the waterway and are a bear to get loose. This is not to say your 5yo would ever do anything like this, mind you. I used to do maintenance on Section 8 housing for a guy, and you would be surprised how many Rangers I found hanging spread eagle, almost in a terrified position at the outlet of the toilet. Pulling the toilet is the only way to get to them.