Toilet Installation

Old 02-21-08, 05:19 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet Installation

I had a toilet installed by a company several years ago. Recently, the toilet started wobbling when we sat on it. I hired the same company; although a subcontractor was sent in his place. He told me the problem was the flange was not bolted to the floor and thus was incorrectly installed originally. He said our leaning on it may be have loosened the wax ring and thus the wobbling. He also said he would not pay for this if he were me, as it was an installation issue. The plumbing company is now threatening to sue me saying it was a builder problem not an installation issue. I talked the subcontractor again and he said this is absolutely wrong and when toilets are installed, this should have been taken care of. What is the truth?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-08, 09:28 AM
I am a plumber, and when I install a flange, it is MY job to ensure they are secure.
They are trying to scare you. Call another plumber, have him/her pull the toilet, and screw the flange down. Should not take more than an hour.

Then call the BBB and file/log a complaint. They are playing pass the buck and this is what give the trades a bad name.

Curious, why would the plumbing company want to sue you?

Good Luck!

Old 02-21-08, 11:20 AM
S
I guess I am alittle confused. The original plumber said he only put in the toilet and the flange was the builder's deal. Should he have inspected the flange and then realized it was not bolted or does a plumber put in a new flange when he installs a new toilet? I am a single woman and know virtually nothing about plumbing. I hired him because he advertises as a "Christian" Plumber.
He is going to sue me because I am refusing to pay his bill. Put a lien on my house with interest which will prevent me from selling were his exact words.
I filed a complaint with the BBB, the Michigan Attorney General, the Michigan Bureau of Licensing and I also work for attorneys who will be sending their own letter.

Old 02-21-08, 01:16 PM
A good "responsible" plumber would ensure everything is fine when installing a toilet. Ask him this:

Did he ensure that the toilet did not rock from side to side after installed?
Did he ensure that the toilet did not shift back and forth, right to left after it was installed?
I bet not. Any toilet will do this if the flange is not screwed down to the floor. And I dont mean try to move it lightly, it should be gripped tightly and tested.

Apparently, it sounds like he did not install the flange, someone else did. So, in his mind it is not his responsiblity to check the condition of the flange.

Your leaning on the toilet would not loosen the wax ring, you felt the flange shifting. If the wax seal was bad, then it would have leaked.

How much do you owe the guy?

Old 02-21-08, 04:56 PM
S
The second plumber said we must have done something to loosen the wax ring (which he says was the only thing holding it down). It did not rock for a couple of years so I really can't explain what happened. But, yes, the plumber said it was not his responsibility to check to see if the flange was bolted down--that was a problem of the original builder. (The condo was 8 years old when I bought it). Anyway, I have filed complaints with the Attorney General, the BBB, and State Board of Licensing. I also contacted a tv station problem solver who wants to mediate the dispute. He mailed me a bill for $209.
I just want to make sure I have a valid argument that a reputable plumber inspects the existing flange when a new toilet is installed.

Old 02-21-08, 05:48 PM
Well, my opinion is worth as much as I charged you for it, to them...but you cannot set a toilet on a bad foundation. Thats the first thing I check!

I dont know many plumbers that will "testify" that the other guy did not do his job correctly.

Good luck with the situation. If the TV guy wants to run with it...no matter how right the plumber is, he will look like the meanie. I would avoid it like the plague.

Old 02-21-08, 09:17 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
"I also contacted a tv station problem solver who wants to mediate the dispute. He mailed me a bill for $209."

That's a new one to me. I would ignore him and send a copy of his bill to the station general manager. Usually those guys are paid by the station Sounds like a scheme to me.

I also wonder why the big deal. Hire a reputable licensed plumber to properly affix the flange or replace it and re seat the toilet. Since this was done several years ago, I can't see you winning this battle.

Old 02-22-08, 05:47 AM
S
The Plumber sent me a bill for $209 to reseat the toilet and put in the two bolts. He sent an associate who actually did the work and the associate told me he would not pay the bill because this should never have happened. He said the original plumber should have checked the flange and corrected the problem when he installed the toilet three years ago.
That's the big deal....I don't want to pay for something if, in fact, the toilet was not properly installed and since I phoned the same plumbing company who installed it, therein lies the problem.