Shower drain cover above tile floor

Old 02-21-08, 03:43 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shower drain cover above tile floor

One of our showers has a tile floor. Instead of being set flush or recessed, the drain cover sits on top of the floor. This creates a barrier of about 1/8" that keeps all the water from flowing into the drain.

As you might imagine, this is a pain as we have to mop the floor after each shower to soak up the excess water standing around the raised drain.

I unscrewed the cover. It sits on a light colored plastic fitting that joins the black ABS drain. The light colored fitting seems old and brittle. I'd like to replace it with one set at or below floor level, but don't know if it's glued.

There are four small blocks molded into the round fitting. Is there a special wrench that locks in to twist it? Alternatively, I suppose I could wedge a wood block against one block and tap with a hammer. But that assumes it's screwed in or friction-fit

I figured it's best to ask here first for fear that it's all glued and I'd end up breaking the ABS drain.

Thanks for any advice.

Old 02-22-08, 03:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
So we can see what you see, post a couple of pictures on a site such as photobucket.com and copy/paste the HTML code in a reply post. It may help alot.

Old 02-22-08, 01:32 PM
C
Great idea! Thanks.

Here's the drain with cover on. The white ring around the cover is hard plastic, not a rubber gasket. The two screws for the cover only go into the white fitting below, not all the way into a flange.

Removed the cover. The two screwholes are for the cover. I found no other screws, so reckon it's glued, screwed in (notice the four blocks) or friction-fit.

Old 02-22-08, 03:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
It's probably not glued in, as it looks to have a rubber boot under the fitting. It is improperly installed, as it should be flush to the finished surface, BUT, that's water over the bridge. It is probably held in place with the grout and maybe some adhesive under the flange. It would be good if you could trace around it, remove it and cut the tile to install a new one, but you are probably talking a professional tile guy for this type of surgery. Others may chime in with different solutions, so give it a chance. I'll check back too.

Old 02-25-08, 09:42 AM
C
Thanks Larry. I've tried every way I know to remove it but with no success. I found a site run by a plumber in Washington state -- terrylove.com -- that has a forum. Got one reply that said my only option is to break up the floor and install a new drain. I think we'll stick with mopping, at least for a few years until I can persuade my wife that it's time to rennovate the bathroom.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: