large (3/8") gap under toilet

Old 02-22-08, 01:06 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
large (3/8") gap under toilet

We are remodeling our basement, and the bathroom has gone in around the area that used to slope to the basement drain. We knew we would have a large slope to deal with, and tried to level it out to some degree. I have ended up with a fairly significant gap under the down-slope side of the toilet:

I am guessing that this is too large to rely on shims alone. I have done a bunch of web searches, and I have found the following possible fixes:
  1. Put a mound of thinset under the toilet. Cover it with wax paper, and mount the toilet, pushing into the thinset and leveling it. The thinset will cure and support the toilet (and the wax paper will keep the toilet from wicking moister during the cure, and enable removal). Caulk around the front and sides (leaving the back open for leak detection).
  2. Basically the same as above, but use Plaster of Paris.
  3. I thought about building some kind of putty dam around the profile of the toilet, removing it, and then filling the area with self-leveling compound to create a level surface. I am guessing this would be harder as I will likely still have to shim to get it perfectly level when I mount it.
My questions are:
  • Are these my only options?
  • Which of them is best?
  • If I decided I wanted someone else to do this, would I ask my plumber or my GC (i.e. do plumbers usually do this kind of thing?)?

Old 02-22-08, 01:09 PM
J
Forgot to include my name.

Thanks,
~john

Old 02-22-08, 01:56 PM
Wink

You dont say what height the flange is at?????? Is it up out of the floor??? Id get the plumber to fix it all . Then if it dont work you have some one to get back on.

Old 02-22-08, 02:02 PM
J
I can measure when I get home, but I think that the bottom of the flange ring is flush with the floor (i.e. the amount the flange sits above the floor is equal to the height of the flange ring).

The toilet sits mostly flat in the area around the flange. It is toward the front of the bowl that I need to fill in.

Given this, any info on which of the fixes (or something else) would be best?

Thanks!

Old 02-22-08, 02:24 PM
Wink

If it will set on the seal and tight to the flange .The bolts OK. Id set the stool. Put two small shims under the front. After set and level take and work a sand & cement mix or thinset under it all around. When not that high some work tile grout under it after its set.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: