toilet tank gasket removal

Old 02-23-08, 07:47 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am replacing a very old flush valve with a new kit and can't remove the old toilet tank gasket to replace with a new one. Can someone please help? I have removed the tank and the old gasket will not budge.

thanks,

Victoria

Old 02-24-08, 04:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Victoria, I know you have double posted somewhere else, so you may be getting double answers. Welcome to the forums! Is the tank gasket stuck to the tank? If so, slip a scraper under the gasket and lightly pry it loose. The rubber compound usually degrades and will stick pretty good. One tip, when you get ready to reinstall the tank, do this. Buy an extra package of tank-to-bowl attachment bolts. Install the bolts through the metal washer and rubber washer and into the hole of the tank. Then install a rubber washer, metal washer and one nut to the underside of the tank. Now, the tank won't leak, should there be any wobble in the tank after you install it. Then set the bolts in the holes of the bowl, placing a metal washer and nut under the entire thing to hold it secure. Sometimes just relying on the tension of the bolts to keep the tank from leaking is a trick. This way you won't have any. Good luck and let us know if we can help further.

Old 02-24-08, 05:55 AM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Larry, Thanks for your response. I am a new home owner and this all new to me. (house is 30+ yrs old) It is hard for me to explain the issues because I don't know the names of all of the parts. The peice I am trying to remove is stuck on the inside of the tank on and on the outside. I've tried your suggestion and no luck.

Any other suggestions?

Sorry about the double posting. I have no idea where the other is posted.

Thanks, Victoria

Old 02-24-08, 12:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
You say it is stuck on the inside and the outside??? Where is this thing located, in the middle or on the side where the water goes in?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: