Toilet doesn't flush all the way or flushes slow.

Old 02-24-08, 02:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet doesn't flush all the way or flushes slow.

I just bought a new toilet from Lowes. It is a toilet to go with a 1.6 gallon tank. It doesn't flush all the way and the bowl just fills up with water and than drains slowly. Now i took a bucket of water and dumped it into the bowl and it flushed fine, so I am thinking it might be something in the tub. Maybe the flapper. I have tried adjusting the water levels up and down and still nothing. I have tried plunging it several times and the water level goes down, but only then.
Need some suggestions, please.
Thank You,
Billy

Old 02-25-08, 12:05 PM
Make sure the water level is correct, then try. You might have to re adjust the flapper. Always feels good buying something new then having to work on it. What kind of toilet?

Old 02-25-08, 12:10 PM
I
How old is your house? 4-inch Cast iron or Pvc Waste?

Old 02-25-08, 03:45 PM
the house was built in 1957 and we got PVC waste pipes.

Old 02-25-08, 04:05 PM
I
I was on a project as the electrician and the same thing happened. It was discovered that the new pvc installed was coupled with cast iron down under the floor. The cast iron was only partially plugged, however 1.6 gallons of water would not get the job done. The old stool was fine. (large tank) The plumber said this can happen and had seen it before. He then replaced all cast iron with pvc and everything was fine. Does your pvc visibly go all the way to the basement floor or wall or does it change to cast iron? Ours did and thats what happen. This may not be your problem, but thought I would mention this. Actually I am the most unqualified plumber on the planet. Good Luck! Someone will find the answer, hang in there. Did you adjust the flapper yet like the earlier post advised?

INDII

Old 02-25-08, 04:19 PM
It is a Crane. Not sure which model. I guess your standard 1.6 gallon toilet.

Old 02-25-08, 04:22 PM
Yeah i tried that and still nothing with the flapper. No it is PVC all the way through to the septic tank. Thank you for your help I sure do appreciate it. I will keep trying different things. When I find something that works I will post it to maybe help someone else.

Billy

Old 02-25-08, 04:34 PM
I
Venting can be an issue too. A plumber will have to solve this one. Good Luck!

INDII

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: