50-year-old Porcelain tub's suface is etched..now what?

Old 02-24-08, 04:10 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
50-year-old Porcelain tub's suface is etched..now what?

I finally took some heavy-duty cleaner to the porcelain tub to remove stains that have been there since the day i moved in last year and that have withstood regular soap scum romover-type shower cleaner.

This product was a heavy-duty tile, stone, and grout cleaner with hydrochloric acid. It gets.the.job.done.

What it revealed, though, is that the tub was so dirty because the porcelain has started to lose its gloss on the bottom of the tub and dirty was in the groves. It's all gone now - like I said, it's wonderfully strong stuff - but now what? Is there a product that will put a new glossy seal on the tub?

This is going to be a rental house so it's not worth replacing the tub to me. However, if there's a product that will make cleaning easier then I'm all for it.

Thanks,

Chris

Old 02-24-08, 04:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There are tub refinishing companies that will come in, sandblast the tub, and apply an multi-coat epoxy finish. The cost will be about the same as a new tub....maybe $350, but there would be $1000 labor to install that new tub!

The epoxy finish is not as durable as porcelain. It must be cleaned only with mild soaps, and you can use soft-scrub products. If you have it done, I would get a specific recommendation on a cleaning product from the company, and then PROVIDE that product to your tenants, with instructions. You can get a few years of service out of this. Bad tenants could tear it up, of course.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: