No Access to Tub Drain and Plumbing in Condo

Old 02-24-08, 11:39 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No Access to Tub Drain and Plumbing in Condo

My only full bath is on the second floor. It has a one-piece fiberglass or acrylic tub and surround. It's over 20 years old. I want to replace it but since the drain, the faucet and the shower are on the wall that is shared by the neighboring unit. There is no access panel in the adjoining bedroom or closet.
I understand that the existing unit will need to be taken out in pieces and that a similar replacement would need to be a multipiece unit, but how will all the plumbing be reconnected? Will it be necessary to redirect the plumbing and then create an access panel in the closet?
Or should I consider forgetting the multipiece unit and choose another design? And what might that design be?
Thanks!

Old 02-25-08, 11:56 AM
It will all be torn out, then roughed in like a normal bath. The valve will be installed before the surround is installed, and the tub set and the drain hooked up from a room that the back of the tub/side ajoins. Done very often. I see no reason to redirect anything at this time. Worst case? You have to cut out an access from the ceiling down below to hook up the drain. Good luck!

Old 03-17-08, 06:00 PM
E
So there is no way....

....to conect a drain without access next to or under the new tub? I have the same issue. I just finished the room next to and the ceiling below my bath and do not want to bust up my hard work.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: