slight but steady toilet drip (stops when I raise the big black ball inthe tank)

Old 02-25-08, 07:44 AM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
slight but steady toilet drip (stops when I raise the big black ball inthe tank)

I noticed lately after I've been flushing the toilet that toward the back of the bowl there's a slight water drip.

This stops when I open the tank, raise the black ball manually, and when I let go, it's fine.

I'd like to save this step since I have to wait until the flush completes

any ideas on how to fix this?

TIA,

-MC

Old 02-25-08, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Hi MC
When you say drip, do you mean actually out of the toilet onto the floor? I'm not clear what you mean when you say back of the bowl. If you mean down into the bowl, its because there is water coming from the fill valve into the overflow tube at a very small rate, due to the fill valve not being fully closed.

As to having to raise the float (black ball), there should either be a screw adjustment on the top of the fill valve (what the float is attached to), or you can slightly bend the arm of the float down, so it puts a bit more pressure on the fill valve as the tank fills. Your water level in the tank should match the 'fill line' on the inside of the tank.

Old 02-25-08, 09:16 AM
M
Thanks for the tip

It's not dripping on the floor but into the larger mass of water in the toilet bowl (also where the waste is deposited)

I'm gonna try the screw adjustment first before I start bending the arm

thks again,

Mike

Old 02-27-08, 08:57 AM
M
fyi nothing works

I spent close to two hours on this last night.

I tightened and loosened every screw and also the cap that is on top of the cylinder/hollow pole which is tied to the water supply.

It may be a combination of the big black ball not coming all the way up and also the thing that raises up when you flush the toilet isn't coming back down over the water hole securely. If I manually fix both of those, the leakage in the inner back part of the bowl is minimal.

one thing I noticed is when I flush the upstairs toilet (same parts inside), the parts aren't rusty and also water only comes out of this one skinny hose.
When I flush the downstairs toilet (the leaking one), not only are the metal screws rusty but water not only comes out of the skinny hose but also the cap on top of the cylinder/pole tied to the water source.

Is there a diagram that tells me what the name of each toilet tank part is?

TIA,

-MC

Old 02-27-08, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator
Sounds like yer gonna need a rebuild. You can get a kit at most home/hardware stores...even Walmart I think.

Heres a good link on the basics

http://www.hometips.com/hyhw/plumbing/88toilet.html

The fill valve is an easy fix, as is the flapper, but if you need a new flush valve, that involves taking the tank off. I would probably get the entire rebuild kit, use the parts out of it for the fill valve and flapper, and hope that solves the problem. You can always replace the flush valve itself afterwards if necessary.

The kits work for most standard type toilets, so unless you have something odd, you should be ok. Takes maybe 30 min for the fill valve and flapper. Directions are right on the box.

Old 02-27-08, 09:35 AM
M
good stuff, thanks!

so now the only ? is:

would you recommend a traditional float ball mechanism or one of the newer auto mechanisms that operate on water-pressure in lieu of a float ball?

-MC

Old 02-28-08, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator
Don't think I know about the water pressure type. Have always used the flowmasters with the float around the valve body, and they seem to work fine for yrs and yrs. Simple, easy to adjust, and cleans up the look inside the bowl.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: