Adding tub to basment rough in

Old 02-26-08, 10:33 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Adding tub to basment rough in

I would like to add a tub to my bathroom in the basement. I had the house built in 2002, and had the rough-ins for a sink and toilet, but no shower/tub. I was told I could run a drain line from the tub and tap into the sink drain. Is this possible? We would not be using the tub much, but thought it would be a added value to our already one full bath ranch house.

The tub would be built slighty up higher off the floor, so we would be able to add the additional drain pipe to slope down slighty to the sink drain.

THANKS!

Old 02-26-08, 01:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The sink is using a 1 1/2" drain while the shower/tub will require a 2" pipe. Did you specify the tub drain not be included in the plans? I ask for a reason. Generally without an exclusion, there is a square 1' x 1' hole in the floor where your tub drain lives. Do you see anything like that in your basement?

Old 02-26-08, 04:06 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Chandler.... illuminate my mind - I was/am under the impression that 1 1/2 is allowable for a tub/shower combo... and 2 inch required for a shower only.

Old 02-27-08, 04:33 AM
D
Question

The pipe for my sink that was roughed in, is a 2" pipe, not a 1 1/2" pipe. No, there is not a square cut out for anything like you discribed. There is just a 4" pipe (for toilet) and a 2" pipe, for a sink.

Also, in my crawl space, there is a pipe that is capped off, that is labeled "Future bath" written on it. That pipe leads into the sink drain line, that is also tapped into the regular sewer line, that leads out my basement floor. Is that for venting my future bath lines for the rough ins?

Old 02-27-08, 12:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Zster, you may be right, and I was envisioning shower alone. Seems odd, though to have a 1 1/2" for a large influx of draining water at one time and a 2' for a trickle. Dgallo is the pipe to which you refer in your crawlspace pointing down or up? If down, then it is the vent pipe for your downstairs fixtures. Be careful cutting the cap off, as all the rain water for the past 6 years is in it.

Old 02-27-08, 12:53 PM
D
I may have to email you a picture of what I am talking about. The pipe labeled "Future Bath" is caped off, right after tee-ing off from the sink on the main floor. The drain from the main floor bath sink comes down, then tee-s into the drain for the rest of the drains, like toilet and shower. The other end of that tee is extended out and capped off. I did not know if that was to come out and go into the drain for the sink.

Old 02-28-08, 11:38 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
As I understand it.... the "Code Gods" figure that a tub will hold enough water that overflow is not an issue - hence the smaller pipe diameter... while a shower stall with a 4 inch lip could overflow sooner, hence the larger pipe diameter...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: