Time required to install 4 faucets?

Old 03-08-08, 04:11 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Time required to install 4 faucets?

Yesterday I was hired to REMOVE four bath single lever faucets with pop-ups, and INSTALL four new units with pop-ups.

The first two were rusted so the mounting bolts broke off, the third one the pop-up assembly was so corroded that I had to hack saw it off. Rember I had to remove the drain tail pieces and traps too on all four. Then after I was finished installing all four I had to clean all four areas under the vanities. Also had to make one trip to the hardware store to buy a pair of 20 inch supply lines, and that took 30 minutes.

This all took 5 hours and 40 minutes. I charge $30.00 per hour, and operate a ONE person handyman service. The charge was $180.00 as I had a 20 minute travel time charge added in.

I welcome any comments you might have on the length of time it took for me to complete this task? I took NO BREAKS.
I personally thought the time it took and the price I charged was very fair.

Someone must have a comment on time normally required to install a faucet with pop-up?????

Thank You,

Dale in Indy

Last edited by Smith Brother; 03-08-08 at 06:35 PM. Reason: add comment.
Old 03-08-08, 08:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Most reasonable!

Gosh, Dale, I wish you worked in Virginia! Most trades charge $100.00- $150.00 just to come to your house, for any portion of an hour.

It used to be that you got a free estimate, but now there's a charge just to estimate that may or may not be deducted from your bill.

And I don't know the going rate for plumbing, but my hot tub repair guy charges $85.00 an hour.

Old 03-08-08, 09:34 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Time-wise I think you did very well.

However, at thirty dollars an hour charge-out time you are not even breaking even unless this is an under-the-table backyard, second income business.

Old 03-09-08, 07:20 AM
S
Smile

I am retired, age 71. Worked for Tractor Supply for 15 years, owned and operated a hardward store for 23 years, then owned and operated a Avis Rent A Car rental agency for several years.

I have always been a hands on guy, so when a family asked me several months ago to do some fix-up things for them at $30.00 per hour and I had plenty of time, well I accepted the offer. Since then I have had lots of calls and am very busy. I only work on homes in our area, I don't work on, junk, roofs, heat or air, and limited crawl space stuff. I do charge travel time, and have insurance. I work out of our SUV, so no extra expense there.

Most weeks I have worked 3-4 days, and taken in five to seven hundred per week. I could work more if I wanted to, but since I am artsy I need time to do my own arty things.

I love the work and my customers, so WHY not. Wife likes the extra money too, and after 48 years of marriage we are a team. Two rules to a happy marriage. RULE 1. I let her think she gets her own way, and RULE 2. Let her get her own way. Oh by the way, I HAVE PLENTY OF TOYS, SO NOT A ONE WAY STREET, she has HER stuff too. It WORKS.......

Dale in Indy

Old 03-09-08, 09:11 AM
The title to the post was "time to INSTALL 4 faucets, and I'm thinking 30 minutes each. Now, if the install included a new pop up drain, that could add 15 minutes to an hour depending on how much the drain had to be modified, moved, etc.

NOW the hard part. The time to REMOVE 4 old faucets, well all bets are off on that, as you describe. All in all, if you did all this in 5 hours, your customer got a huge bargain. I suspect if she called a plumber, he would quote around the $180 EACH.

I don't have any problem with the idea that you do work like this. You make out OK, but once in a while you will get a customer who will accuse you of being too expensive! You don't need those customers! Beware of any customer who presses you for a fixed price quote in advance for a job which has too many unknowns. A savvy ( or devious ) customer might well have convinced a handyman to quote this job at about 2 hours of work, and look what happened!

Old 03-09-08, 09:26 AM
S
Smile

I liked your response.

Now I will quote a FIXED price on painting, but that's about it.

I haven't had anyone YET suggest I am over priced, and this job of installing the four faucets was NOT questioned as such. I just wanted to get a feel from others as the time involved.

I KNOW OH SO WELL THAT SURPRISES DO POP UP, SO I WON'T BE GIVING ANY SET PRICES.

Thanks to those that offered their comments, FOR SURE.

Dale in Indy

Old 03-09-08, 10:00 AM
I liked YOUR response!

I really think it's wonderful...you obviously charge what you feel is acceptable, and while you could be making considerably more money, you appear to me to simply know the value of good labor. The money isn't always the important thing, is it? Just knowing you've done a good job, made someone's life a little better, that you've proven your worth...that's often quite enough, isn't it?

Must be an Indiana "thing"...we're from Jeffersonville, originally. You have a terrific day, and I hope you're still working when you're 95.

Connie

Old 03-09-08, 10:17 AM
F
Here's where I am coming from.

You are operating a business. As such you need to comply with all of the laws that govern such a business. You need to account for all the income from that business and also all of the outflow.

If you have previously run a business then you know exactly what I am referring to. Even as simple an act as using your personal vehicle to transport you and materials to a jobsite can wreak havoc on your automobile insurance if you have an accident...regardless of whether or not you are at fault.

Now what I would do in your situation is to have people buy all the necessary products to do whatever they want done and then you can volunteer to help them. Even if your "help is 99.999% of the job you must insist that they are the ones really doing the work and they must obtain any necessary permits and inspections for the work performed. You cannot bill them for your work but you CAN accept "gifts" of cash from them.

Anything else is leaving you wide open to lawsuits from either a disgruntled customer, some injured third-party or even the government.

Old 03-09-08, 10:52 AM
S
Cool

I pay my taxes, and this business is not a way to avoid such, PERIOD. I could go to one of the BOX stores and work for $8-10.00 per hour, and have little control of my work load. Just not me.

I can't imagine what a customer would think of me, let alone what they might do, if I explained that, THEY WERE ACTUALLY DOING THE WORK, THEY WOULD HAVE TO PURCHASE THE SUPPLIES, AND THAT THEN I WOULD ACCEPT A CASH GIFT. I would guess MOST would report me to the IRS that day or very soon.

Nothing personal, but such is not me.

I am aware that I could be involved in a wreck and the other party then could discover that I was on my way to perform handyman tasks, thus owning my own bussines, and sue me. I have insurance and have received advise from my attorney regarding such.

I agree with some things you state, like getting permits and inspections. I follow code, and don't do certain tasks, like ELECTRICAL, HEATING-COOLING, ROOFS, MAJOR PLUMBING, etc.

This the path I have chosen to take.

Thanks to all,

Dale in Indy

Old 03-09-08, 11:15 AM
Indiana does not require a licensed plumber, or a contracting license?

Old 03-09-08, 11:35 AM
F
I'm all for helping people (that's why I post here) but in my area if I was using my personal vehicle for anything other than commuting to/from my job I would have to license it as a commercial vehicle. Then I would have to have a commercial (rather than personal) insurance policy on it.

I would need to have a business license and if I purchased items for resale I would also need a license to purchase wholesale and sell retail. If I did any plumbing or electrical I would need the applicable state license. This includes work as simple as extending a cable TV or telephone outlet. I couldn't change out a heating/cooling system thermostat without the proper low-voltage electrical license.

Of course to be able to "pull" a permit for anything, including carpentry work I would have to have a contractors license in addition to the general business license.I would be required to pay self-employment taxes to both the state and to the IRS. I would also have to have insurance on the business itself along with myself as an employee of the business.

Maybe where you live things are not so tightly regulated as where I live. Maybe you are willing to take more risks than I would. I know that after working for some thirty-seven years and then taking a retirement at age fifty-five I have no desire at all to EVER work for pay again.

To each their own.

Old 03-09-08, 12:47 PM
S
We have had a good exchange of info and opinions, and such is GOOD. I Thank All for such.

Like, some of the things I have done have made my customers so happy. Just last week I fixed a storm door latch that hadn't worked for years, and the lady was so pleased. Now had I been charging her a lot more per hour it would have tempered her thoughts. I am NOT into helping others simply for the money, but it is important too.

Some things in Indiana require a Lic, and some don't. I don't get into projects that require a torch for example, and I know my limits, FOR SURE. I DON'T mark up the items I purchase either. Often the customer does pick up and and pay for the items used, but not always. When it comes to CHOICE, then they know that they need to make those decisions.

Again, THANKS TO ALL, I HAVE ENJOYED ALL YOUR COMMENTS AND HAVE LEARNED TOO.

Never boast, rarely rest.

Dale in Indy

Old 03-09-08, 04:31 PM
F
It's too bad that things have come to be as they are in today's society. It wasn't that long ago that people helping others was the normal thing to do.

Unfortunately with the new sue-happy generation along with a multitude of laws and regulations that are supposed to "protect us" from all the evil in the world it sometimes is just plain hard to do the right and neighborly thing.

I can remember doing a lot of things for others in my younger years that today would likely get me thrown in the can...or at least having to pay some pretty big fines.

Old 03-11-08, 12:30 PM
G
You did the job in great time and your hourly rate is very fair for a handyman. The one handyman I know charges that much too. I recommended him to others, have lots of resepct for him and he helped me out of jams before.

Keep up the good work!

Old 03-11-08, 04:25 PM
E
Handymen that work free-lance have to charge a lot more than those who work for a landlord where the landlord sends you everywhere, and there is no need to meet with customers. Also, work for the large rental property handyman is very steady and you do not have to pad your charges to cover for when the work gets slow.

I probably would have only gotten about $40, maybe $50, out of the 4 sink faucets job. I've done a lot of them (replacements, upgrades, new remodels)and I can reach under sinks and hook stuff up without looking. Naturally if everything is seized on by rust, that is a different story.

But I do not begrudge people who get more, as chances are your expenses are more, and maybe you live where things cost more, and you may have to pay expensive insurance for lots of things. I have not seem many handymen who live in mansions along the lake.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: