Help getting SEATS out of cold water shower knob

Old 03-09-08, 12:10 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help getting SEATS out of cold water shower knob

I have a shower (two handles system for hot and cold water) which is leaking water when turned off -

American Standard - Short Steam system - 2K-2H - In my shower -

I went and replaced the steam system - but no joy - still have a small leak - Next step it seems it must be the seat iteslf is causing the leak (even though the Steam likely needed replacing too - very old).

However, now, I cannot seem to budge the seat inside - Seat sizes have not changed have they? The replacement seat, I know I have the correct allen-wrench for....however, I cannot get the seat inside the wall to budge -

Any advice on getting this seat out would be greatly appreciated - I've hit it was some WD40 -

Old 03-09-08, 01:27 PM
M
How do I know what type of seat I may have? This shower is likely 10-30 years old -

My Allen Wrench doesn't seem to fit it exactly right (but then agian, with it being wet and 2 inches or so into the wall, it is hard to tell....I do get a bite on it).

But could I have a pressed-seat? If so, how do I replace such?

And does American Stanard Steams....come with pressed or stared seats? (or did they in the past, years ago?). The one's I find today all have regular, allen-wrench type seats...

Last edited by meade95; 03-09-08 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-09-08, 01:54 PM
S
There is a specific tool for removing faucet seats.It costs about 5 bucks and is available at most hardware stores.

If you bought stems they usually come with new seats.Otherwise remove the seats and take them to a hardware store or public selling plumbing supply for match up as there are many sizes and you need the exact one.

Doubtful yours are pressed in and/or nonremoveable.

Old 03-09-08, 03:56 PM
J
I recently did a shower that the customer had replaced the hot seat/stem and all was fine there, but the colds side was still leaking. The seat disintegrated when I tried to loosen it, reuiring me to find the proper tap, no easy task. There are so many seat thread sizes it would baffle the mind. If the hot seat was replaced(and works), take that one to a hardware/home store to properly identify the correct seat/thread. And pray that the old seat will come out without damaging the threads. It often takes a not so gentle wrap on the wrench to break things loose.

Old 03-09-08, 05:24 PM
M
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
I recently did a shower that the customer had replaced the hot seat/stem and all was fine there, but the colds side was still leaking. The seat disintegrated when I tried to loosen it, reuiring me to find the proper tap, no easy task. There are so many seat thread sizes it would baffle the mind. If the hot seat was replaced(and works), take that one to a hardware/home store to properly identify the correct seat/thread. And pray that the old seat will come out without damaging the threads. It often takes a not so gentle wrap on the wrench to break things loose.
Thanks for the advice - That is my concern, not to destory the Tap (where the SEAT fits in).....

Also, just trying to figure out what type of SEAT it exactly is - Is it a star type or regular allen-Wrench type?

Old 03-11-08, 03:32 PM
J
It will be either 4 or 5 sided, not a hex, simple tool available everywhere. You said you replaced the hot side and it is OK??? Did you save the old seat???? That is your guide to what is actually needed. As I said, the thread size could be any one of about a dozen.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: