Pex fitting nightmare

Old 03-15-08, 08:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pex fitting nightmare

The male fitting on the left is ½” to ½” for pex. I hooked this up to a Moen shower valve with Teflon tape and it leaked. I redid this fitting with telflon, pipe dope, Teflon and pipe dope and no way could I get it to seal. I did notice that this fitting would only go in about ¼ of the way. I took a regular ½” copper sweat fitting and noticed that it went in like normal. After fighting this thing for a long time, I just sweated the valve with copper and connected pex, and it worked perfect... I took this fitting back to Menards and checked it on the fitting board, and it didn’t fit the ½” female threads very well. To me, it seems like this fitting is a bit larger than the regular ½” fitting, but it never damaged the female threads. I don’t think this is a normal ½” fitting and I sure as hell don’t trust these threaded pex fittings anymore. Can anyone tell me what’s going on? Am I missing something? http://babysbathroom.blogspot.com/

Old 03-15-08, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
rebel,
I couldn't tell ya what that is (I'm sure someone will), but it sure doesn't even look like a 1/2" NPT to me. Hard to tell from the pic, but is it maybe a 1/2" compression ? I don't see any taper to it at all.

Old 03-15-08, 01:24 PM
http://babysbathroom.blogspot.com/ here is a picture of the fitting and the package it came in. I checked it out and they still have them at the store. Same fitting ,same number.Problem is, no one can give me an answer,including the support person at NIBCO. I went to the NIBCO website and couldn't even find this fitting listed. This fitting is sold in the plumbing area,and it's for water. It says1/2" but it's not 1/2,at least not the same 1/2" that I know. I feel like John the Baptist over this entire ordeal{voice crying in the wilderness}. Why is this fitting like this? how can they sell something like this? I will never trust another threaded pex fitting again.

Old 03-17-08, 04:09 AM
D
it is likely a mis fit part. it does look like it has no taper. possibly you could try a different location next time to buy the part.

Old 03-19-08, 06:51 AM
A
Prob just a bad batch run. I have used those in the past with no prob. Only ones I've seen with no taper were made for the pooper and faucet. Shower valve should have a taper right?

Old 03-21-08, 07:37 PM
I think I see the problem .... "Made in China". :mask:

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: