Bathroom sink faucet help..!

Old 03-16-08, 01:49 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom sink faucet help..!

Single female replacing bathroom sink faucet...have NO idea what I'm doing...after the struggle of unhooking everything and replacing the faucet, I am still getting leaks where the drain is. I put plumbers putty around the flange then I figured out that it's the 2 square cut outs in the pipe that is leaking...I'm guessing that I need to fill around the pipe up to and including the flange from underneath with the plumbers putty to stop the leak...is that right? I'm guessing that was the black, gooey, icky junk around the old pipe? Anyway, quit laughing and give me a hint.........thanks.

Old 03-16-08, 02:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hi laidebug!

Welcome to the DIY forums!

I'm sorry to tell you, I have no idea what the "two square cutouts in the pipe" might mean! I have only installed a couple of faucets, but I'm pretty certain there will never be a cutout in a pipe.

Can you be a little more explicit? If not, don't worry...Someone will come along soon and help decipher your code, I promise

Old 03-16-08, 04:07 PM
L
Thanks Connie....I think I have it figured out. The square holes in the pipe are for the overflow.....I just had to ream and ream on the pipe nut to get it tighter so the big rubber washer could do what it's supposed to do! Good gravy, you need muscles for DIY!

Old 03-16-08, 04:30 PM
T
You got it right - the cut outs are for overflow and should not be plugged. Always use pipe dope or teflon tape on all your threads to assist in tightening them properly (that stuff is a lubricant rather than a sealer)... and hopefully you also used plumber's putty under the chrome piece that actually sits inside the sink (though some newer brands don't require that - check the instructions).....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: