Fixing my toilet

Old 03-17-08, 09:51 AM
X
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fixing my toilet

What's wrong with my toilet?

I flush it and the level in the bowl gets real high and doesn't flush. The tank fills up and then the water in the bowl leaks down the drain slowly until it's almost empty. Isn't that defying gravity?

I tried using a toilet auger on it and it doesn't seem to be clogged. Anyone have any ideas as to what's wrong? Any help would be much appreciated as if I don't fix it soon, my wife's going to make me call a plumber.

Old 03-17-08, 10:01 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
A slow toilet is almost always a blockage of some kind. When we get symptoms like yours, it's usually something small that the auger can bypass but that catches the paper to create block. We pull the stool and fish it out from the underside - been unidentifiable pieces of plastic, kids toys and balls and once even a spoon.

Old 03-17-08, 10:05 AM
X
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
So do you think my best bet is removing the toilet?

Why does the level in the bowl go down after the tank is done filling? You can hear and see the water level get lower.

Old 03-17-08, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
xray, I think its the siphon action, because its not flushing properly, it slowly sucks water out of the bowl until the vacumn is broken in the trap.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: