Problem with my shower..

Old 03-21-08, 06:27 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problem with my shower..

Hi, I am new to this forum, so please be patient...
I have a shower that has a hot knob, cold knob and a knob for the shower...When I turn the knob for the shower all of the water does not get directed to the showerhead. Half of the hot seems to keep coming out of the faucet. I have the shower knobs turned all the way on, and both the hot and cold faucet turned on full force. At Christmas I replaced the shower head with one of those "removable-hand held" shower heads to make it easier to clean the tub.
This is a new problem. I am hoping this is an easy fix. I am "home repair challenged..."
Thanks.
Terry

Old 03-22-08, 03:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! You will need to remove the stem of the diverter. To do this, remove the screw holding the handle, and remove the handle. The escutcheon plate will need to be removed, and not knowing your model or brand, I can't tell you how to do that. Some just pull off, some are screwed in with a very fine thread, so do some experimenting. The next step is best carried out using what we call a plumber's socket set. If you are at a plumbing suppy house or big box store, just ask for a set. They look like a bunch of spark plug wrenches on a cable. Using the appropriate size, go back into the wall slightly and undo the nut holding the stem to the valve body. Unscrew it and note there should be a washer on the end. Most likely yours has been compromised. Take the diverter with you to the store and get the proper sized washer and screw if needed to go on it. Installation is the reverse of destruction. Let us know if we can help further, and if this worked for you.

Old 03-22-08, 07:41 AM
R
Thanks, I will run over to Lowes after I go to the food store. I willlet you know if I have success....

Thank you

Terry

Old 03-22-08, 12:43 PM
Ooooh, don't do that. My wife gets all over me for having groceries in the car while I meander through the big box stores!! She says I spend too much time in there. Now, really!!!!

Old 03-22-08, 01:22 PM
R
It is a washerless faucet

Well, I never made it to Lowes. Will try to get over there tonight.

But I have since found out that my shower is a "washerless" faucet. I guess that changes things. Should I just go an get a whole new set up? Or do you think the shower head could have something to do with it?

Terry

Old 03-22-08, 05:38 PM
If it is washerless, remove the entire cartridge and take it with you for an exact, exact, exact duplicate.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: