installing drain flange

Old 03-22-08, 11:20 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
installing drain flange

Hello all, the drain flange came with a couple of rubber gaskets. One goes under the sink and the other between the sink and the flange. So since the sink is cultured marble I was going to use silicone but where do I put it? Between the gasket and the sink, between the flange and the gasket, between both or because there is already a rubber gasket neither?
Thanks in advance.

Old 03-22-08, 12:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Install rubber gasket on basket; install basket in hole, install rubber gasket, then cardboard gasket, then spanner nut to hold it all up. The cardboard gasket is to keep your spanner nut from boogering up the rubber gasket. Sometimes they don't come with the second rubber gasket and silicone must be applied to the marble around the hole where the basket will fit to form a seal. Don't use plumber's putty on marble.

Old 03-23-08, 07:01 AM
J
To silicone or not to silicone

So, does that mean I do not need silicone?

Old 03-23-08, 07:06 AM
T
Read your instruction sheet carefully. These days (as I'm finding out on a regular basis) manufacturers are producing products that require no silicone and/or plumbers putty during the assembly process. In fact, quite often the use of those products will void a warranty (ahhh, technology).

In my case, I follow the manufacturers directions first... then follow my own initiative if it doesn't work.

Old 03-23-08, 07:34 AM
J
It came without instructions

Old 03-23-08, 07:40 AM
T
First - quite buying stuff on E-Bay (LOL).......

Without seeing your setup - I would suggest putting it together as is - without silicone... If it works, great!! (you'll know within minutes of turning the water on). If not - apply a thin bead of silicone on both sides of the gasket - tighten it down - let it sit for 24 hrs... then turn on the water. Simply put - you're not going to know till you try it... then fix it if it doesn't.

Chandler is one of the most respected pros on the forum... take his advice and go from there!

Old 03-23-08, 12:37 PM
J
Done, I hope

I ran the water with out the silicone and water started flowing. So I put silicone on and it worked. Since I did this before reading the latest tip I ran it right away, so I hope it will last. Thanks to all for your tips.

Old 03-23-08, 03:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
It should be fine with the silicone. It is just at Thezster said, more and more the manufacturers are supplying products that don't require sealing. In your case, with the marble, plumber's putty was the most definite "out of the question" item. Glad it worked out for you. Thezster, have one on me, and thanks for the nice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: