Toliet Leak - Bathroom Tile rising

Old 03-26-08, 11:13 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Toliet Leak - Bathroom Tile rising

Hi All,

I'm a new home owner that knows nothing about home repairs. Trying to figure out if the leak behind my toliet has anything to do with the rising tile in the middle of my bathroom floor. We can hear the water under the tile. How do we get the water out? We have no idea how long the water has been dripping behind our toliet and we were able to get that to stop. Do you think there is a link between the two? OR does this sound like two seperate issues? And does some one need to be called in to look at it? Thanks in advance for any help given.

Old 03-26-08, 11:54 AM
J
Yes they are the same, I would take up the tile & check to see if the water leak has wicked into the sub floor. If it has you will need to have the sub floor replaced. You need new floor tile anyway.
Good Luck
JR in Indy

Old 03-26-08, 03:22 PM
J
Either water has leaked under the tile causing the subfloor to swell, or you have a leak under the floor. Both need removal of the tile to find out what is going on. No easy solution here.

Old 03-26-08, 04:51 PM
K
Originally Posted by KMWilliams View Post
We can hear the water under the tile... water has been dripping behind our toliet.
Toilet leak was in the supply - not drain? Steady drip adds up to a ton of water! Expect water damage in floor/ceiling below, walls. How bad depends on how long it went on.

The "rising tile in the middle" of that floor, I'm not sure what you're describing. Is this loose tiles just in that area (unusual) or is this a hump in the floor, or maybe the floor around has sunken so it looks like a bump in the middle?

Curiosity aside, the floor must come up, for sure. I would not hesitate to dive in and start ripping up some out of the way corners now because the cavity between floor and ceiling must air out or moisture damage will continue.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: