cat litter in toilet...help

Old 03-27-08, 01:10 AM
cat litter in toilet...help

i dumped my cat litter called yesterday's news in the toilet tonight because someyone told me it's ok for that cat litter.

well now my toilet is clogged badly. i plunged all night but i think the plunder may be broke (it's one of those black ones and it's weird looking) when i push it down it gets bent.

i scooped the water out about 4 times and there is alot of cat litter in the hole. i scooped alot out with a plastic spoon (yea i know kinda extreme) and i put a bucket of hot water down it 3 times. it still wont go down.

i have the valve shut off while doing all of this.

tomorrow morning i can get a snake or whatever it's called but is there anything else i can try to do????

im in an apartment so i really dont want to call a plumber.

could my landlord kick me out because of this?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-08, 03:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! We can't legislate doing things that are against logic, can we? Cat litter absorbs moisture. Absorbing moisture causes it to expand. Expanding cat litter....well it will clog a toilet. Turn the water back on to the tank, as you will need water to help flush out the stuff. Leave the tank top off as we will get to this later. How much water is in your bowl? If it is a small amount, flush it. If it begins to rise too much (to overflow), put your hand in the tank and force the flapper to close. Don't worry, it is clean water, unless you have one of those gosh awful bleach tablets in it. If the bowl is full and will not flush, you need one of the short toilet snakes, rather than a long skinny one. Let us know what goes on so we can help further.

Old 03-27-08, 05:46 AM
i do have one of those bleach tablets in it.

is it still safe??

Old 03-27-08, 06:00 AM
i did what you said and flushed but the water kept overflowing and would not go down in the bowel

i dont have a snake but im gonna see if anyone i know has one. if not what one do i exactly buy?

Old 03-27-08, 06:16 AM
If you have a bleach tab in your tank, just wear a rubber glove to control the flapper. Go to a plumbing supply house or a home improvement store and purchase a closet auger (not a snake). It should cost less than $20. Most likely the toilet trap is clogged and the auger is designed just for this problem.

Old 03-27-08, 07:18 AM
is a 3 inch toilet auger fine?

Old 03-27-08, 08:06 AM
Originally Posted by zappyisfun View Post
is a 3 inch toilet auger fine?
3" or 3' ?

heres what I have , it was a little more than the "house " brand

http://secure.data-comm.com/GL/Detail.bok?no=87353

Old 03-27-08, 08:11 AM
3' sorry.

they have 3'
25' drill snakes
1/4' water powerd snake
and 3/8"x3' augers

plus alot others. i never did any of this before so i want to make sure i buy the right thing.

Old 03-27-08, 08:43 AM
you want a closet auger like I linked to

its designed to clear a water closet (toilet)

Old 03-27-08, 08:49 AM
ok i bought one. it's a 3/8"x3' ;ight duty toilet auger.

i asked for a closet auger and the guy pointed me to this.

Old 03-27-08, 11:19 AM
Been watching (and laughing) from the sidelines - not at you, but with you... having done exactly the same thing once in the past. Trouble with Kitty litter is that it not only clumps up and expands - some brands tend to stick like glue to the porcelain surfaces of the toilet. Use that auger liberally - even after the clog clears - to try to ream out the discharge chute as much as possible.....

Then buy a big box of garbage bags for future disposal.....

Old 03-27-08, 02:35 PM
Zappy - I was at HD this afternoon. They have a 3' auger for $10 and a serious pro type for $30. Unless there is more kitty litter in your future the 3' will do.

Old 03-27-08, 03:46 PM
yea i bought a 3' for around that price at VALU

Old 03-27-08, 04:14 PM
i been auging it but nothing is happening and i need help with it. peaple are telling me to pour drain works down there.

but is it ok even with that blue bleach capsule in my toilet?
the capsule was put into the tank not the bowl but the bowel water is all blue it's called 2,000 flushes

i dont want any poisnois gas or my toilet blowing up!

the drain works contains Hydrochloric acid and say's do not mix with other household chemicals with clhorine or bleach

Last edited by zappyisfun; 03-27-08 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-27-08, 05:08 PM
That stuff can be dangerous! AVOID it! If it were me, I would plan on pulling the toilet. It may be caked in there and wont come out.
As far as your landlord, I seriously doubt they would kick you out. Unless you cause considerable damage. IMO, bite the bullet, get a plumber, and have them take care of the issue...they are insured! If you are in Northern Illinois, Pm me. I can come over! Good Luck!

Old 03-27-08, 05:10 PM
I would take the toilet off turn it on its side and clean by hand then use your auger in the pipe

Old 03-28-08, 06:39 AM
Zappy - When you say nothing is happening, do you mean hte auger is passing fully through the trap or is it getting stuck? Do you feel any resistance as it passes?
If the auger is passing all the way through the blockage may be in a closet bend under the toilet. The other possibility is that the auger is going through the mess but it is resealing after the auger is removed. Either way removing the toilet is probably the next step. Since it's a rental, I would call a plumber.

Old 03-28-08, 04:29 PM
yea i think it;s time for a plumber...my stepdad came over and tryed the auger and plunging but it did not do anything.

i just dont want my landlord to find out. damn.

i called a couple plumbers one called AAA thought i was a joke and hung up on me!!! another one said its 129 or something i dont know. geuss i'll have to wait intill monday

Old 03-28-08, 07:38 PM
should i call my landlord and have him deal with it?

i dont think i will have anough money for a plumber anytime soon

Old 03-28-08, 07:52 PM
Hi Zappy,

I am sorry you are having so much trouble! What does your lease say about repairs? Does the landlord get the plumber or do you? Are you responsible for payment, or is he?

Old 03-28-08, 08:08 PM
i have no lease on my apartment. the landlord is kinda a slumlord and never comes and fixes anything. hes even late for his own rent all the time!

but i dont know what to do. call him and ask him to fix it or if i can call a plumber or what?

i dont want to call a plumber and get in trouble. and i dont want my landlord to know i dumped cat litter in a toilet!!!! man im stuppid

thanks for not laughing tho.

Old 03-28-08, 08:33 PM
I think you will just have to save a little money to get a plumber. When you have enough, get a recommendation from a friend or a relative. Whatever you do, don't just look in the phone book and pick out some shmoe like "Johnny Loves to Run"

Old 03-30-08, 05:05 PM
My landlord finnaly came and just poured cystall commercial strenth down the toilet...but did it all wrong!!! he did not read the instructions and poured half the bottle in it (it said use 1tbsp!!!) and now my bowl is overflowing with poison all over the ground!

also there is a 2,000 flushes tablet in my tank and he flushed the toilet so now the water is all blue with bleach or whatever again WITH THE CLEANER IN THERE...can that cause CO2 or anything? it say's on label do not use with ANY CHEMICALS in the toilet!

it's been an hour but i feel alittle weird but my freind does not so it might just be me.

Old 03-30-08, 06:32 PM
Okay, Zappy...how does the cat feel? A little woozy from all those fumes?

You know if the landlord should cause the demise of your beloved pet by his tactless and irresponsible use of chemicals, I believe you may have grounds for a lawsuit.

Perhaps enough money to move up to a better apartment.

Old 03-30-08, 08:56 PM
man im stuppid

thanks for not laughing tho.
Don't be too hard on yourself. In a while you'll be recalling this and laughing about it yourself. And, as a bonus, you will know a lot more about how toilets work, which is damn useful knowledge. Everyone does something he'd rather not admit from time to time (I'm an expert on this!) At least you know enough to ask for help.

How is it going? If you're still stuck, first things first. Can you remove that bleach tablet from the tank?

Old 03-30-08, 10:38 PM
Well the landlord is coming tomorrow morning with a .......plunger??? but i dont think it will work cuz i did that god knows how many times. but ya never know maybe the chemical worked and when i wake up tomorrow and flush it will all be good. but i doubt it.

i really did not want to use chemicals

so he's gonna end up calling a plumber most likely.

Old 03-31-08, 07:57 AM
Zappy - I don't think your clog is in the toilet. It's fairly unusual when a closet auger can't clear a clogged toilet. It happens, but it's rare and usually caused by something jammed in the toilet trap.

My guess is that the toilet waste pipe may have been partially clogged and your cat litter finished the job. If that's the case the auger will never reach the clog. IMO dumping drain chemicals is not the answer. I think you are at the point where the toilet needs to be pulled, the trap checked, and the drain snaked.

Keep us posted.

Old 03-31-08, 11:31 AM
Am I the only one here who thinks, "Zappy is Fun" is more like "Zappy is Having Fun?"

We had a saga, not so long ago, about a Japanese Squatting Toilet-the tenor of this post is eerily familiar. I think everyone caught on a little earlier.

I could, of course, be mistaken...there may really be some poor "Zappy" out there, but Zappy studiously has avoided my questions while continuing to embellish his tale.

Connie

Old 03-31-08, 11:49 AM
you might have a point its not following a logical progression

Old 03-31-08, 12:06 PM
Cool

Maybe, JUST MAYBE the clog is in that thing that we carry above our sholders.

Maybe we could all pitch in and buy zappy some real games.

No one, I mean NO ONE would put up with all that we have read without addressing the problem, HEAD ON.

APPLY DIRECTLY HEAD ON.........

Dale in Indy

Old 03-31-08, 12:15 PM
Zappyisfun, have you tried watercooling your CPU?

Okay..
i plunged all night but i think the plunder may be broke (it's one of those black ones and it's weird looking) when i push it down it gets bent.
Unless there's a crack in the rubber, that weird plunger is fine. I think that's a full sized plunger you're describing.

A plunger is kinda like a hammer. You can go through the motions.. down, up, down, up... but nothing's going to happen 'till you really slam at it. You can transmit tremendous hydraulic pressure (just like industrial vehicles employ through tubes & pistons), it's limited only by your physical strength and caution when you plunge so hard the toilet shudders. I guess with enough force the toilet seal would blow out.

Try again with that in mind. Make sure the plunger is submerged in water.

If there's no resistance then we know the clog is past the vent, which is useful knowledge anyway.

Old 03-31-08, 12:30 PM
Oh, no, Kobuchi!

Zappy can't plunge, now...chemicals have foamed out of the toilet onto the ground!!!

But it's OK, the landlord is coming back to plunge, and we don't care to much about him- he's obviously an evil man and has mistreated Zappy.

Old 03-31-08, 02:12 PM
Bleh i am not lying.

my landlord came over with his guys (he owns a company for painting and renovating look him up ryans renovations syracuse ny)

http://www.ryanpainting.net

they shop vacced it for me. it took an hour an a half. had to pour boiling water down it a couple time cuz it cemented they said.

all fixed now.

the reason i did not address the problem to my landlord fast ebcause i did not want to get in trouble or kicked out like i said in my first post. i have no job and have no money to pay plumbers so i had to wait on that. also my mom lives right around the corner so i just went there to use the bathroom.

my girlfreind is helping pay my landlord tho cause hes billing me i geuss. .

want some pics? i'll get em just to show im not a spammer

Oh and yes the cats are fine. i was just having a panick attack i have an anxiety disorder so it happens alot to me for no reason.

Old 03-31-08, 02:34 PM
LOLz. Old skool plumbing meets the too much information age.

Thanks for the update Zippyisfun.

Old 03-31-08, 05:31 PM
Oh, my gosh! "Bleh"?

That may be my favorite word in the whole wide world!