Bath tub leaking through Drain

Old 03-30-08, 07:39 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bath tub leaking through Drain

Hi

Our bath tub was leaking through the drain and we found out once the water started dripping onto our main floor dining room. Anyway, now we have a whole on the main floor ceiling thats about the size of an inch and a leaking drain.

We tried to pour a bucket of water and it leaked, we tried pouring a jug of water straight into the drain and it leaked so i think the leak is from somewhere under the tub. We have a closet right behind the tub area. Would it be possible to get access to the tub drain from the closet or would we have to cut the ceiling on the main floor? Also does anyone have any good ways of hiding the patch work if we cut from the main floor. We had one quote to fix the leak from main floor ceiling and then respray the entire ceiling and that was $900.

Please help.
Thanks

Old 03-30-08, 09:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hello, nitu, and welcome to the DIY forums!

Plumbing is not my best field, so I'm going to leave it to the pros to advise you. I think it may be simply the drain gasket is dried and needs replacement...You use a special wrench (I think it's called a basket wrench) to insert into the drain, where you see the metal "cross"- remove the drain and reseal.

If it is only the drain, and not a pipe, you will not have to go through the closet or the floor, so let's hope it is the easy repair

You'll want to fix the ceiling after you're sure the leak is repaired. You can post that question in the walls and ceilings or drywall repair forums, if someone doesn't answer here.

I do not think you will need to spend $900.00 for repairs
Connie

Old 03-30-08, 11:21 AM
N
Thanks but sadly i dont think its the drain at the top of the tub that is leaking. I say this because when we tried to pour right into the drain, not spilling any outside, it still leaked. I wish it was simple fix.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: