Kohler Twin Ell Installation Orientation

Old 03-31-08, 09:22 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kohler Twin Ell Installation Orientation

I'm installing a new Kohler k-680-ks thermostatic valve with integral volume control into a tub/shower remodel with a diverter spout. My question involves the installation of the required twin ell for the tub spout. I know it has to be supplied from the top of the valve and the bottom of the valve plugged, however does anyone know if the twin ell can be installed vertically (tub supply port pointing down) instead of horizontally?

This would enable me to come out of the top of the valve with an elbow into the twin ell "in" port, another elbow out of the shower port and on up to the shower head. The tub side of the twin ell would then be pointing down behind the valve and supply the diverter spout. This way I only have to run one supply line down to the spout instead of 2, one down to the twin ell then one back up to the shower?

I don't know exactly what's inside the twin ell and I don't have it yet but I find it hard to believe that there's something inside it that's affected by gravity. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-08, 04:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! From reading the spec sheet, the tub will feed from the bottom of the valve. Not sure where you got your info on it coming from the top.
Go to http://www.plumbersurplus.com/pdf/1041158_2.pdf and check out the specs and installation options and let us know what you don't understand. We'll help all we can.

Old 04-01-08, 05:22 AM
Larry,

I got my information from Kohler's technical dept. and somewhere in their instructions.

http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatal.../1041159_1.pdf

If you supply the bath spout from the bottom port of the mixing valve, you need to install an additional volume control and the twin ell. To avoid the additional volume control both the tub and shower must be plumbed off of the top port of the mixing valve. My question is can I just install the twin ell above the mixing valve and point the tub outlet down and have the twin ell still work right? Thanks

Erik

Old 04-01-08, 01:09 PM
The twin ell just looks to be a triple connection fitting (nothing inside). The Kohler twin ell installation instructions show the shower valve installed upside down, the shower outlet pointing down. Their way of plumbing seems more logical, although yours should work.

http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/085755_2.pdf

Old 04-01-08, 09:27 PM
The twin ell instructions don't take into account I believe Kohler's new valve which in one unit has a flow control valve and a temperature control valve that has ports on the top and the bottom.

Has anyone installed one of these twin ells in a vertical orientation, assuming the orientation in the photo on the instructions is horizontal, and had it work properly?