Several Flushmate questions

Old 04-06-08, 11:03 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Several Flushmate questions

I've been dispatched to the house of a friend that is out of town to repair her toilet. All she said is that it is "leaking" and she uses the shutoff valve to turn off the supply when she's done. I have no way to get a hold of her to elaborate.

I've dealt with probably hundreds of regular toilets, but this is my first power assist type and have some questions.

First off I *think* it's a 501 series. The tank has a Flushometer tag and M-101 as the model. When I go to Sloan to look things up, there is no M-101, but all the parts look exactly like the 501 series.

When I opened the tank top and turned on the water, there was a crack in the air inducer and water was trickling into the bowl. We went to the plumbing supply with just that part (and no other info). They gave us a different looking part, but it went in without any problem.

When I turned the water on, water drizzled OUT OF the air inducer for a second. When I flushed, a little more water came out, and I also noticed bubbles and/or a stream of water down around the base of the pressure tank area.

I've searched around and was surprised that it's NORMAL to have a little water in the china tank area.

The questions are:

1) Is it normal for water to drizzle out of the air inducer?

2) Is it normal to see air bubbles or water streaming down below the pressure tank?

3) If it is normal for water to collect in the china tank, does it just sit there forever?

Thanks!

Old 04-07-08, 12:44 PM
U
Answers in order asked:
Is it normal for water to drizzle out of the air inducer?
Water may spittle or dribble from the air inducer and /or vacuum breaker as the Flushmate pressurizes at the end of each each flush cycle. If water continues to leak from the air inducer, the duckbill valve inside it (underneath the vertical hexagonal cap) may not be closing due to debris or mineral build up. The duckbill valve can be rinsed or cleaned out under running water to eliminate the debris or build up.

A continuous leak or dribble, especially from the vacuum breaker, is symptomatic of insufficient water pressure or a partial obstruction in the filter screen in the lower supply shank (where you connect the supply line).

Is it normal to see air bubbles or water streaming down below the pressure tank?
It is not normal to see air bubbles or water streaming down below the pressure tank and typically indicates a fissure or pinhole in the molded plastic. Such a leak will prevent the Flushmate from fully pressurizing or maintaining pressure for any length of time.

The Flushmate system should be replaced.

If it is normal for water to collect in the china tank, does it just sit there forever?
As explained in the beginning, because the vacuum breaker and air inducer open and close with each cycle and may expel some water, a small accumulation in the bottom of the china holding tank is possible. The more often the toilet is flushed, the more likely there will be some residual moisture.

There is a drain valve at the bottom of the Flushmate's discharge extension that typically prevents more than a half-inch of accumulation. The high pressure flow opens the drain valve with each flush and draws most of the excess water into the bowl. Should the water leaking from a cracked Flushmate tank begin to fill the china holding tank with water, the weight of the water will open the drain valve allowing the water to flow into the bowl before there's a chance for the tank to overflow.

The 501 series Flushmate has been out of production around ten years or so. The replacement tank is the 501-B series, part number M-101526-FA for 501 series American Standard pressure-assist fixtures and M-101526-F for all other 501 series pressure-assist fixtures.

While the concept is the same, the 501-B series system is a complete redesign with regard to materials and manufacturing processes and is sold with a ten year warranty on parts and a lifetime warranty on the body of pressure tanks.

Hope this information is helpful.

Old 04-07-08, 07:01 PM
S
Wow that was VERY helpful! Thank you.

I went over there just now, and yeah it looks like the inducer just dribbles a tiny bit then totally stops.

But there is definitely some kind of turbulence coming from under the pressure tank during a flush. No other problems anywhere else. Good flush, no sounds of water going anywhere when fully pressurized.

There are no symptoms of anything wrong now. I guess I didn't mention that this turbulence happens only during the flush and not when idle. Should I still look into replacing this thing?

Thanks again.

Old 04-08-08, 05:32 AM
U
If it's holding pressure and you're getting a strong, vigorous, effective flush, the turbulence you describe is probably a little splash out of the drain valve as the water rushes past it, and nothing to worry about. The original drain valve was a sort of "ball-check" and transitioned into a vertical flapper-like configuration.

Regardless, with water rushing past the open drain valve at around 70 GPM, some seepage or splashing is to be expected and no cause for concern.

If you do identify a crack or pinhole, you should replace the entire system.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: