Install Fiberglass Shower Stall over Tile?

Old 04-09-08, 06:07 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Install Fiberglass Shower Stall over Tile?

Hi Everyone,

I have a bunch of questions about installing one of those fiberglass shower stalls. i just bought a house and it has a terrible tiled shower (only shower), not only is the tile in bad shape, the pan is also looking pretty rough (no leaks though). Also evidently the shower valve leaked at one time as someone cut through the tiled wall and cementboard, so there is a roughly 1 foot tall by 9" wide hole where the valve was (both hot and cold copper lines are capped off as is the shower head). So looking at it I was wondering couldn't I just install one of those fiberglass/acrylic stalls on top of the old tile (after putting in a new valve and adding in some cementboard for stability). I have looked in vain for instructions on doing just this, but everything I run into is for open studs.

Also if my idea is even possible (and not just a rediculously bad idea), how would I go about hooking up the floor drain from the old pan to the base of the shower stall. As you can tell, I am a newbie to this, but I have done room remodels before (bedroom and Kitchen) and I just don't have any idea about this.

Oh, one other thing - I measured the old shower and it is 34" square - so I don't even know if I can fit one of those one-piece units in through the door, so if anyone can help with advice there I would appreciate it.

Best and thanks, Rick

Old 04-10-08, 05:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Good Morning, Rick and welcome to the DIY Forums. I do not think it would be a good idea to attempt to install a fiberglass stall over the old tile.

You will want to pull all the old tile and board off the walls for a number of reasons- checking for mold and water damage would be one reason, Standard size for the stall might be another, proper adhesion or fastening techniques, etc.

If you have specific questions about the tile or replacement of tile, you may want to post in the "Kitchen and Bath" Forum, but some of the experts here will be able to answer all your plumbing questions.

Connie

Old 04-10-08, 11:46 AM
R
Thanks Connie

thanks Connie - you know I am afraid of that - I can tile I just wanted a quick fix - unless someone says - oh, sure I've done that I will remove all the tile etc and retile.

Thanks again,
Rick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: