Bathroom Sink Pipe Leak

Old 04-12-08, 08:35 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom Sink Pipe Leak

I played around with piping, and caused a leak.

The initial problem was a clogged pipe. We ordered some of the enzyme unclogger liquid from RotoRooter. Prior to using that, I took off the U-pipe to make sure the clog wasn't there, it wasn't. The clog is down pipe a little more, but that's not my issue now. In the process of taking off the U-pipe, a joint higher up began to leak (when the water is full and stopped).

See photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2556193...7604501962461/

The leak is where the metal pipes connect, but they don't screw/unscrew. They simply turn round and round. Can I apply some sort of glue to stop this leak?

Thanks for any help!

Old 04-12-08, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
KC yer gonna have to take those pipes out and replace the gasket under the chrome nut at the top. You might be able to tighten it a bit to stop the leak, but I'd take it out, clean it up and replace the washer (and pipe and nut if required). You can tell by the corrosion up there, its prob been leaking for a while, even if it was just a few drops at a time.

Looks like its gonna be pretty tight up in there cause of the type of sink, and the thickness of the countertop.

Old 04-12-08, 08:49 AM
T
That will teach you to play around with your pipes.. :-)

You're going to need to run to the hardware store and buy a drain stopper wrench (wrong term, I know).. In essence, it keeps the portion in the sink from turning while you unscrew the nut under the sink. Sometimes you can use a pair of pliers to do the same thing (stick the handles of the pliers into the drain crossbars). You need to keep the drain portion from turning while you unscrew the nut on the bottom.

From your photos, you've had slight leakage from that spot for a while (greenish stain)... and need to replace/and/or clean up the rubber washer under the nut.

Once you get it apart and start to re-assemble it, use pipe dope or teflon tape on the threaded portion - it acts as a lubricant, allowing you to tighten the nut properly. You'll probably need to lay some additional plumbers putty under the drain flange as well.

Old 04-12-08, 09:00 AM
K
Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a whirl. I'm going to be a full-time plumber by the end of this year!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: