Crane toilet tanks

Old 04-19-08, 05:08 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Crane toilet tanks

Hi: I was wondering how do you know the age of a toilet? I'm asking because in British Columbia, Canada, Crane Plumbing manufactured faulty toilet tanks in the 1980's. I moved into a townhouse complex built in the late 1980's, and all the toilets are marked CRANE. At our annual general meeting there was a discussion of Crane Toilet Tanks because one of the owners had a tank explode while he was out and caused a great deal of damage. Our complex's insurance has gone up because of this and roofing problems. Every unit has 3 toilets that could potentially explode, but as I am not the original owner I don't know if the tank has already been replaced. There was a tank replacement in the late 1990's, early 2000's.

Also, would anyone know what models of Crane tanks are the faulty ones?

I've tried to contact Crane, but the lady in charge has not answered back yet.

It would cost quite a bit to buy 3 toilets and the cost of a plumber as my husband refuses to do this type of job.

Thanks in advance

Old 04-20-08, 05:59 AM
N
The date will be found on the inside back of the tank on the far right Eg: Crane 2705 88T , the 88T is the year. Some times the year may be on the inside of lid as well.

I have just replaced a cracked Crane toilet tank (not a lot of damage.whew!) btw, new toilets are much easer to replace now due to the pre-assembly of the tank.

Old 04-20-08, 04:30 PM
L
Red face Crane tank

Thanks for the reply, but now I'm more confused. My lids have the numbers 3-569 & 305483,and nothing to show the year, but today I looked into the tanks and the numbers are hard to read, but I know they don't match 3-569. One tank actually has a stamp that reads Dec. & 1991-92. The others don't have this stamp on them. If they actually were made in 1991-92 I might be lucky and these aren't the exploding tanks. I'll have to wait for the Crane lady to respond.

Old 04-21-08, 01:33 PM
U
Are these toilets traditional gravity toilets with the familiar ballcock, chain, and flapper or are they pressure-assist toilets with a Flushmate inside the holding tank? I've never heard of a gravity tank "exploding" but Flushmate does have an advisory on a limited production run where there's a potential for the seam to separate which, on a pressurized tank, could conceivably break the china tank or lid.

A Flushmate it will have a serial number and model number on the body of the pressure tank so if you have one and are concerned about performance, reliability, or Warranty, jot those numbers down and call Flushmate at 800-533-3460.

Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: