Chipped New Porcelain Bathtub. Fix Advice Requested

Old 04-20-08, 02:24 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Chipped New Porcelain Bathtub. Fix Advice Requested

I chipped my new white steel porcelain bathtub. The chip is between a nickel and quarter size, how do I repair it, what product do you recommend? Thanks

Old 04-21-08, 05:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Welcome to the DIY forums.

You can buy a small bottle of filler and then a matched paint for the tub.

This works real well on newer tubs that haven't discolored over time.

The filler is used to fill the area, obviously, and is sanded flush with tub surface. Do not scratch or sand the tub surface outside the repair area.

The paint dries to a very thin, brittle coat. Keep this in mind with the filler. You will not make up any difference of heights or dips in the patch with paint. Its not like filling cracks with latex paint, it doesn't dry like that. Even if you hump the paint trying to make up some thickness, it dries very thin.

I buy the stuff through HD Supply which was the commercial side of Home Depot, but has now been sold. Home Depot stores have a limited color selection but they can order different colors. Talk to the pro desk, not the person in the plumbing department.

Colors would seem a natural thing thing in that white is white, avocado green would be green, and so on. You need to know who made your tub. American Standard white is different than Crane white.

You now know what to buy, you know where to buy it, you know what info you need to buy the right color. I think it's covered.

Good luck with your project, more questions, ask away and someone will answer you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: