Rusty Seats Won't Turn

Old 04-23-08, 04:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rusty Seats Won't Turn

I've been working on a leaky bathtub faucet for a couple of weeks. It's an old 3-handle deal. I've replaced both valve stem and the diverter stem. Seeing as the shower is still not coming fully on (water continues to pour from tub faucet), I decided to look at the seats today. I tried to use a seat wrench to get them off but all three have rusted away and I'm having trouble getting enough traction to move them.

Any suggestions? I've been using a hammer to get the wrench in deeper but I'm afraid of going too far w/ that b/c I don't want to hurt my pipes. Is there anything I could buy that would help? Would a little WD-40 in there loosen them up a bit?

Any suggestions would be helpful...

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-08, 05:55 PM
Lightbulb Rusty seat!

Well, I hate to say this but you probably will need to replace the faucet. If the seats are not coming out, which if made of brass as they quite often are then you most likely have ruined them. They do make a tool to re-grind the seats but I dont even know if they still sell them. Most of todays faucets dont use that technology anymore.
Replacing the faucet shouldnt be that bad. You can buy a cover plate to change it from a 3 handle valve to a single handle anit-scald pressure ballanced valve as per todays plumbing code, at least where I'm from, and this can be done from the front if you have no rear access or the back. The cover plate will cover the 3 holes and work with your new faucet to look good and you will love the new valve much better. No temperature change during shower and high temp can be set so nobody can get burned.

This project takes a licensed plumber approx: 4 hrs.

Old 04-23-08, 06:00 PM
Dang

Well, that wasn't what I was hoping to hear. I'm going to check into the re-grinding tool as I have heard it mentioned on several websites. I do not have rear access to the pipes.

If my only option is to get a plumber to install a new faucet I'll do that, but I don't understand how that would fix the problem. Won't the bad seats in there still cause leaks?

Thanks for your help though.

Old 04-23-08, 06:43 PM
One more thing

Also, is this project something that I could attempt on my own or would you advise definitely calling a plumber? I assume either way we would need to pick out a new faucet first, right?

Old 04-24-08, 04:57 AM
rusty seats

OK
If your seats can be repaired then all is good, but...
when I mean change the faucet that includes the whole faucet body. That is why you will need to have access to make the repair. Back access is usually preferred, ( sheetrock can be repaired very easily) but if not a valve can be replaced by the front, especially if you need to use a cover plate. It gives you more room to work.

About you tackling this job yourself, if you are not comfortable with soldering in tight spaces I would recommend calling a licensed plumber. Pick out your faucet but check with your plumber before purchasing as some plumbers will not install owner supplied items or will charge more. And they will not warranty the product for you should something be wrong with the faucet. Also make sure your plumber is insured, since he/she will be soldering in tight spaces.

I hope that answers your questions. Good luck