Toilet black base

Old 04-26-08, 07:53 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet black base

I am replacing toilet in 35 year old bathroom.
When I took the toilet off I removed the wax ring. The wax ring sat on a black base part that sits on the floor and goes into the drainage. It broke and I need a new one. It seems to have two parts with the upper part that sits on the floor and the lower part that is like a short tub going into the drainage area. Is this a univeral part and do I need to put any special silicone on the new one when I put it in?

Old 04-26-08, 02:06 PM
Question questions

Can you tell me what kind of pipe your drain is? It will make a difference on my answer.

Is it Cast Iron,(if CI, do you have shiny metal clamps around the pipes in the cellar?), white plastic pvc, black plastic abs.

Let me know, Mark

Old 04-26-08, 06:57 PM
K
The drainage pipe in the floor looks black and maybe plastic abs? I went to the Home Depot and got a new toilet closet flange that is white in color and a new lower tube part that is also white in color.
Can I use PVC Cement to glue the closet flange to the lower tube part? Then when I put them together I just slide into the drainage pipe without using any glue?

Old 04-26-08, 09:06 PM
Glue issues

Hi,
I'm glad you found what you need to make the repair. Now as far as gluing them together, it is NOT recommended by manufacturers to use PVC glue on ABS. They do sell a glue that is good for both. I am not going to tell you that I have never used pvc glue on pvc/abs connections. I'm just saying it's not recommended. Oh ya - I guess it is also against code too.

Have fun, Mark.

Old 04-27-08, 06:08 AM
K
Thanks, I will look for the correct glue.

Also, I know I need to glue the closet flange to the lower tube part but do I also need to glue the closet flange/lower tube into the actual drainage part?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: