Toilet Filler Float

Old 04-30-08, 07:52 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet Filler Float

Hi everyone.
I have a toilet that keeps filling. Upon opening the back, i noticed that the filler float is slow to come up on top. Is this part defective? or are there any other reason why my toilet takes years to fill up?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-08, 08:29 AM
J
Do you have a water shut off valve under the toilet?
If so--disconnect the tube at the toilet tank ( catch the water w/ a bucket ) Bend the tube into the bucket & turn on the water--if it sprays like crazy--you have a bad water inlet valve--replace it..............

Old 04-30-08, 08:48 AM
Wink

You dont say how old it is. Are if you are on city water or well could have some sand in it build up of lime or calcium in it. For the small cost Id get a new valve Not hard to put in .

Old 04-30-08, 08:55 AM
D
Thanks. I will check the pipe from the wall to the toilet.

Old 04-30-08, 09:40 AM
Read me !!!

Hello, hope all is well. Sun is shining here this morning.

First I would make sure the valve (shut off), under the toilet or in cellar is turned on fully.
Then I would check the water up to that shut off valve as
J Howard has described in his post below. If you are getting a good full flow there, then replace the ballcock (float valve) inside the toilet. If there is little or no water coming out after opening the shut off valve I would check to find out if the water is ok up yo this point and then replace the shut off valve under the toilet. Don't forget to shut off the house main first. The best and easiest to use is a FLUIDMASTER 400a. And I think there is even a newer model out now. Just do not use a model 200 as they are against plumbing code.

I personally think you will find the problem to be the ballcock, unless someone has recently touched the shut off valve feeding the toilet.

Of course, stranger things have happened !!!

p.s. if you need instruction on changing either valve or if more problems, write back. I should respond within a day.