Toilet quality

Old 05-04-08, 05:00 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet quality

I just bought a new Toilet from Home Depot and would like to know what the difference is in quality.

I paid $79 for Glacier Bay All in One toilet with 1.6 gallons per flush with a 2" Fully Glaced Trapway and Siphon Jet Flush.

The toilet will go into a basement half bathroom in a 35 year old house.

Please advise what quality will I sacrafice by getting this lower cost toilet compared to more expensive ones.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-08, 05:32 PM
Hello,

Unfortunately I have had the pleasure of low end toilets from the big box stores. I only use them for slumlord housing. Most landlords don't like to pay much.

These toilets you speak of appear to work ok.

I think the differences are the look, and inside the toilet.

A lot of the new Brand specific toilets today boast a fully glazed waterway and a larger opening throughout the toilet waste path. This way you can flush balloons or ping pong ball down your toilet if need be.
Those thing can make the difference between having to plunge your toilet weekly or once a year. I also am not quite sure if the china is a little bit thinner, so they cost less. There may also be a cheaper ballcock and flush valve that you may need to fix or replace more often. Trust me the no name brands always have some little differences that are not easily visible to the eye to cheapen them up. The other reason they are cheaper is contributed to buying power. If I had 2-3 thousand stores I could probably get a better price than the mom and pop plumbing store.

I hope this helps you out.

Also you need to think of the warranty. If you have a licensed plumber install this toilet, if you supply it yourself it will be your problem if there is something wrong with it and, the plumber is going to charge accordingly to solve the problem. If the plumber supplies the toilet, he should warranty it for 1 year, which means he/she will take care of returning it and getting a new one if need be and if reputable, for free.

Mark

Old 05-04-08, 05:46 PM
K
Thanks, I plan to install the toilet myself. Sounds like the worst issues might be the parts inside the tank going out faster?

Old 05-05-08, 07:20 AM
T
Just because... I always buy the "barely upscale" toilets from HD for my remodels (I fixnflip)..... For your application - basement half bath that will get used infrequently if you're like me - it's perfect!! It flushes - it hold bodily wastes.... and gets used from time to time. Tell your guests not to try to flush ping pong balls - and you'll be fine!!

I also buy those same toilets (American Standard Cadet series - around $100) for my primary residence in areas that see little use (basement bath).... and have been very, very pleased with the performance. (Never, ever - had to call a plumber to clear a line - nor clear one myself)

There is nothing to a toilet to wear out.... other than the tank valving.. and I'm finding fluidmaster innards in every cheap toilet I come across - which is fine with me...

Old 05-05-08, 03:18 PM
K
Thanks, I upgraded to a $100 non Glacier toilet by American Standard. It has only a 2" flush hole which I assume is okay?

Old 05-05-08, 05:57 PM
T
If your body is eliminating something bigger than two inches in diameter - then you've got bigger problems than just a cheap toilet......

As I've said - never, ever had one clog in 7 years.... I might be lucky though....