How do you remove plastic coupling nut and washer from braided metal connector?

Old 05-15-08, 02:09 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How do you remove plastic coupling nut and washer from braided metal connector?

I've just put in a new Fluidmaster flush valve in the toilet and I keep getting a leak at the seal under the tank.

Since the Fluidmaster box includes a new plastic coupling nut and washer, I'm thinking that the leak might be caused by the old braided metal connector washer being worn out.

Please forgive such an elementary question... But I can't figure out how to remove the old plastic coupling nut and washer from braided metal connector. Since the plastic nut just swivels around on the end I can't detect any threads and I'm afraid to just force it off. I also tried just prying the cone washer out with a screwdriver but it won't budge.

Old 05-15-08, 02:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! You can't remove the components of the hose. Replacing the hose is the best solution. Do you have the nut holding the Fluidmaster tight enough, and did you use the cone washer inside the tank before you installed the unit?

Old 05-15-08, 02:27 PM
T
Thanks, chandler!

I replaced the old rigid metal connector with a braided metal one a couple of years ago, so I thought maybe that it was only the washer inside the coupling that is worn out.

Right now, there is a bit of water in the tank, and the seal between the new fill valve and the tank is not leaking. It's only when I connect the braided connector to the tank do I get droplets of water leaking out.

It's strange how the Fluidmaster box would contain a new plastic connector coupling and what looks like a small cone-shaped washer to fit into it if a person can't change one or the other. Are their ones you can change but I have one that can't be?

Old 05-15-08, 05:22 PM
That cone is for a different application, not for the braid. If the braid washer is bad, it won't be long before it gives way and floods. Change out the braid hose. $6 insurance policy.

Old 05-15-08, 08:12 PM
T
I still have the larger cone-like washer for the valve itself, for sealing inside the tank. But what is the smaller dime-sized cone-washer for if not to go in the coupling nut of the connector?

But you're right, I should buy another braid. It's a shame to have to, since the braid looks perfect, and so does the washer inside, actually, but that's probably the part that needs changing.

It's doing okay now, except for an occasional drip. And the valve keeps bubbling up water every few minutes for some reason. I'll have to tweak the float, I think. Tomorrow I'll tighten all the seals and go and get another braid.

Thanks for all your help!

Old 05-16-08, 04:04 AM
You need to install the large cone washer inside the tank below the Fluidmaster. The smaller washers in the kit are for use with plastic or metal solid lines, and have no place when you use the braid lines. You may find after installing the large washer, you don't need new braid, unless you have boogered it up. But a new one won't hurt.

Old 05-16-08, 11:51 AM
T
Thanks, again, chandler!

I took it out again and realized that the new valve didn't have a cone washer inside the end of the tube at the bottom. I could have sworn there was one in their when I put the large washer on but I must have been looking at the old one.

Everything's hooked up again and that tank's not leaking, the braid's not leaking (thankfully!). I did have to use the old thick rubber valve washer because the new one that came in the box is thin and plastic and leaks like crazy no matter how hard I tighten it (the tank's porcelain is too cheap and rough to accomodate the new thin washer). All is okay as far as leaks go, I think.

Unfortunately, the valve itself burbles up now and again and makes a hissing sound. At first I thought I got a defective valve, but then I tossed in a color tablet to check if the tank is leaking into the bowl and sure enough it is. The flapper is new, I put it in not that long ago, but the rubber seal on the tank itself is deteriorated. Changing the tank is too big a job for me, I'm afraid, so a plumber will have to handle that one!

Thanks again for all your help!

Thanks again for

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: