removing ceremic towel bar

Old 05-15-08, 10:25 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
removing ceremic towel bar

I want to remove the ceremic towel bar that is adhered to tile in my bathroom wall. I want to remove the towel bar completely without destroying the towel bar or the tile behind it as they are hard to find replacements. also as I may want to glue the towel bar back in the future.

Can i do this w/ a small chisel?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-08, 04:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Welcome to the forums! First, you won't remove the end holders so they can be used again. You will destroy them upon removal. If you plan on replacing the bar, you can cut the one you have out and replace it with one that is spring loaded (available at the big box stores), leaving the end tiles in place. Not sure about your intentions. If you remove the end holders, you will need to replace them with tiles and grout to prevent water infiltration. Finding a matching tile may be a bear. So you may be able to use a decorative contrasting tile.

Old 05-16-08, 08:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A picture would be great for this.

Two thoughts come to mind.

First thought is there were tiles made years ago that had the towel bar built into them much like the soap dish / wash cloth holder found in many tile walls. These are made in one piece and are not made to come apart.

Second thought, if it is just a towel bar end caulked onto the wall tile; there is a metal clip behind the bar bracket that will have a minimum of one screw drilled through the tile wall. These usually have the little plastic wall anchors that screws go into.

These can be removed by using a very sharp utility knife and cutting the caulk around the bracket. Then lift the towel bar end up. It will slide off the little bracket.

You'll have to deal with these holes when the brackets are removed.

Take your time in doing this work. Don't cut yourself with the knife.

Good luck with your project...