Toilet Constantly Clogs

Old 05-17-08, 01:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet Constantly Clogs

This is my only second time posting to the forums but everyone was great in helping me solve my HVAC problem I thought I would try again for a minor plumbing issue.

I have two toilets in the house on the main floor and both clog easily, one almost everytime. I have ruled out the vent lines as the showers and sinks in the those bathrooms and the rest of the house drain very fast. Both toilets are on the 1st floor of Ranch Condo.

The toilet that has the biggest problem is the guest bathroom. It seem just a few pieces of facial tissue will clog it. Anytime you flush it, the water will go all the way up to the top of the bowl before starting to go down, if your lucky, if not then you are stuck plunging. This toilet has no water jet in the bottom. In the tank it has No. 35 MANSFIELD 1986printed.

The second toilet that has a water jet in the bottom flushes better on clogs less but still clogs easily in my opinion.

Anyone have an idea what is going on with these toilets.

Do I need to snake them or replace them or is there something simple I am missing. I have already tried the poor in Drano type liquids designed for toilets, with no luck.

Thanks in advance for help.

Old 05-17-08, 02:53 PM
I guess I would start with checking the toilet. Do you have closet auger,(snake made for toilets)?

I first would snake the toilet but don't be fooled, sometimes if it a pen or a toothbrush you can unplug it and a week later it will be plugged again, because all you did was move the item out of the way but it is still in there. Another common problem is those nasty womans things. They should not be flushed but many women don't care and flush them. All it takes is a sharp edge to catch a piece of string etc.

If you do not own a toilet auger and you are a homeowner, you should, along with a plunger. Remember, if you buy the cheap products expect cheap results.

Sometimes you will need to remove the toilet and back flush with a hose to free up an item that will not go through. I have even used my closet auger to go through the toilet then tie a rag to the end of it and pull it back through to help pull something back.

I personally have had good luck with Mansfield toilets so I would try these other things before replacement.
It does not sound like a vent issue, but then again I am not there to view or listen. It is possible you have a partially plugged drain, allowing enough room for sinks to drain but not enough for toilets. At that point you are talking major snaking.

Old 05-17-08, 04:04 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
We have this problem a couple times a year. Tenants swear nothing got flushed, but we pull the stool and fish out their pen or toy or spoon (yes, that actually happened) and they clam right up.

Old 05-18-08, 01:09 PM
M
If you have hard water, and your toilets are 20years old, you could have a build up of minerals, which would change the flow of the water swirl. I use a fat funnel and some fat tubing to pour muriatic acid (from the pool supply dept of home depot) down the top tank, thru the bowl, and let it sit in the p-trap. Hold your breath while performing this!
If you have a septic tank, you'll need to dump some baking soda then bacteria down the john.

Old 05-18-08, 04:13 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Is it possible that someone used a double wax ring when installing the toilet when they did not need one? When they seated the toilet onto the ring, the wax distorted and spread out in such a way as to constrict the opening to the drain pipe.

That may explain why 2 toilets in different areas are experiencing the same problem. More likely than 2 "once in a lifetime" accidents of dropping a pen or similar item down the commode.

Wax rings with neoprene inserts are less likely to have this happen, but if 2 pure wax rings were stacked, no telling where the "spread" will go when seated.

Last edited by czizzi; 05-18-08 at 05:56 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 05-18-08, 04:30 PM
Yes, what I have done in the past for extra deep wax, (especially before they came out with all these flange spacer kits), is take a regular wax seal, and a seal with a neoprene, insert and stack the neoprene insert seal on top of the regular seal. This keeps the wax from being spread into the drain line.

Of course now they have the EXTRA wax seal which is like a seal and a half.

Old 05-18-08, 06:14 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I will be heading out to the hardware store tomorrow for an auger to see if that helps, if not, then pull the toilet and take a look before I call in the plumber.

Wish me luck.

Old 05-18-08, 11:42 PM
B
I had similar problem but it cleared up after I started following advice from a plumber and a family member . . . never try to flush anything other than TP down the toilet. Women's products do not dissolve and can get caught going around a corner. Kleenex or facial tissue does not dissolve like TP does. Also, routinely use two or three flushes. Also . . . good water pressure helps.

Old 05-23-08, 12:41 PM
I am still stumped as to the cause of this problem.

I used the toilet auger and only go back one baby wipe, not sure how that got in there. I then decided to dismantle the toilet and to my suprise found a flange with some jagged edges inside so I filed those down, cleaned up all the wax and used a new wax ring with the polyurathane ring. The toilet only flushes marginally better and still clogs quite easily. The water swirls well but just doesn't go down with enough force to clear the bowl. When the water finally empties the toilet makes a gulping sound at the end.

So my question now is this a Venting issue or main drain problem?

If I call in a plumber what should I expect to pay? I called one major brand name company and they said they start at 200 just to come and and snake the main line.

Old 05-23-08, 03:02 PM
When you took off the toilet did you look into it from the bottom very carefully? You may even need to use a small dentist style mirror to see around the bend in the toilet.

Another thing to check is the jets of the bowl. If you can see any little holes around the rim or a larger hole inside the bottom of the toilet, make sure they are clean with a coat hanger. Sometimes they can get calcium buildup in the holes.

Also, what is the water level like in the tank? It should be 1/2" below the overflow tube.

Is the refill tube in the overflow tube as it should be?

Check these things out and get back to me.

Old 05-23-08, 06:57 PM
When you took off the toilet did you look into it from the bottom very carefully? You may even need to use a small dentist style mirror to see around the bend in the toilet.

I didn't use a mirror but ran the auger through it when it was off and fed a garden hose through it both direction with the water on high. I didn't seem to detect any blockages.

Another thing to check is the jets of the bowl. If you can see any little holes around the rim or a larger hole inside the bottom of the toilet, make sure they are clean with a coat hanger. Sometimes they can get calcium buildup in the holes.

The holes appear fine and clear and of deposits and the bowl swirls great when the flush starts. The water just keeps rising and rising until it finally starts down when it reaches just below the rim. This toilet doesn't have the jet in the bottom.

Rand

Also, what is the water level like in the tank? It should be 1/2" below the overflow tube.

about 1"

Is the refill tube in the overflow tube as it should be?

No, it goes right into the tank.

Check these things out and get back to me.

Last edited by 727driver; 05-23-08 at 08:02 PM.
Old 05-23-08, 09:46 PM
Hi,

Well, we at least found 1 problem and depending on the toilet, it could be your only problem.

With the refill tube just going into the tank it does not refill the trap in the toilet ready for the next flush. Because the trap did not have the proper amount of water in it during the initial start of the flush, means it takes more water to make the flush process happen, which indirectly could act the same as not having enough water in the tank.

Notice the amount of water in the bottom of the bowl after a flush now and then fix the tube so it goes into the overflow tube. You should see a difference.

Just for giggles, when you had the toilet off, did you try to run some other things that may be on the same drain (tub/shower, lavatory? How did it sound? Can you run a hose to the toilet drain and see if it starts backing up at all?
I am sorry about all the run around, but I am just trying to thing of all possibilities. And we can't rule out the vent issue, but if everything else seems to be working fine...

You could try pushing a hose down the vent pipe in the roof without the water on to check the vent.
What kind of pipe is your drainage?
Do you hear any gurgling noises coming from the sink, tub/shower, when flushing the toilet?
How old is the house?
What color is your toilet?
Just kidding on that one - just thought it was time for a pick-me-up !

I have had toilets where you can look into both ends of the toilet and see nothing. A hose flush will not always work either. Sometimes a kids G.I.Joe is stuck where you cannot see it and the auger will go right by it. Sometimes I will run the auger through then while still in the toilet I tie a rag (about a 2" knot),to the other end of the auger. then pull it back through. It has worked several times for me.
As far as the other toilet is concerned, some toilets just flush crappy. (no pun intended). Also check inside the tank for proper water level, refill tube position,etc.

I sure hope some of this helps.

Old 05-24-08, 06:17 AM
Changed the refil line and placed it in the overflow pipe. Made little difference.

You could try pushing a hose down the vent pipe in the roof without the water on to check the vent.
What kind of pipe is your drainage?
PVC

Do you hear any gurgling noises coming from the sink, tub/shower, when flushing the toilet?
NO

How old is the house?
19 year ranch condo

What color is your toilet?
LOL

Old 05-26-08, 01:39 PM
IT'S FIXED....

As a last ditch effort I poured a 1/2 bottle of CLR into the overflow tube and got the water level as high as I could get it (about 1/4 in below the top of the overflow tube) and let it sit over night.

The toilet now flushes like a champ. Not sure if 2nd treatment of CLR help or the fact that there is more water in the tank. The water now starts going down almost immediately during the flush and sucks just about anything down with it.

Thank you to all that offered solutions. I greatly appreciate it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: