Disposal leaking from reset button

Old 05-18-08, 06:13 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Disposal leaking from reset button

Help, I just looked under my sink and there was water running out of my disposal- it looks like it is leaking around the little reset button. Yesterday my disposal wouldn't work, so I used the little tool they give you and loosened it up. Then pushed the reset button and it has been working fine (I thought) now this! Anything I can do, or is this something for a professional, or do I need a new disposal?
Thanks!

Old 05-18-08, 07:12 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Use the tool to tighten it back up. That tool is used to remove the attachemet bracket to lower the unit. If it leaks with it tight, the problem is elsewhere.

Old 05-19-08, 07:34 AM
S
leaking garbage disposal

OK, which way do I tighten it? I tried going clockwise to tighten, (righty-tighty) then I tried going counter clockwise, (since it's upside down?) but it doesn't seem to get any tighter, and its still leaking. I thought that tool just freed up the blades if they were jammed. When I insert that tool, (allen wrench) I'm talking about the center hole of the disposal. Its a Badger 1 if that helps.
Thanks!

Old 05-19-08, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Suzy
I think czizzi misunderstood. What you have done so far is fine. Look and see if there is any sort of nut around the reset. I don't think there is actually. But if there is, try tightening that with pliers.

Czizzi may have meant to make sure the attaching ring at the top is nice and tight. It could have loosened slightly with time and the other things you were doing under there. They are a bear to get fully engaged. I normally tighten as much as I can by hand, then a few taps with a hammer to try to get a bit more. The thick rubber gasket up there could have failed somehow, but the units I've taken out are still good even after 10-15 yrs. Mostly the housing or the motor fail first.

Dry the unit well, then use a paper towel to wipe all around it,starting at the top, with the water running. Small areas at a time to try and locate the leak. Don't think this unit has a sound reducing "shell" around it does it? Just the walls of the disposal housing itself?

If some of the internal seals have failed or the housing itself may have corroded or cracked, and it really is leaking down around the motor and the electrical reset, I'd say you are probably due for a new one.

Old 05-19-08, 01:31 PM
I agree with Gunguy45,

A badger 1 is the cheapest disposal ISE (In Sink Erator) makes. The body is made of some composite and I have seen that disintegrate. If it is getting into the wiring, do not use and replace it before someone gets hurt.

Old 05-19-08, 02:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I replaced one last week that virtually had corroded through at the throat and fell to the cabinet base, so cheap is mild.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: