need help... plumbing for vanity sink retro-fit

Old 05-28-08, 11:48 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
need help... plumbing for vanity sink retro-fit

totally renovated our 1/2 bath and replaced almost everything except for the pipes & trap coming out of wall for the sink. The new smaller vanity we installed (1 1/4" sink drain pipe) is only about 3-4" above straight pipe coming out of wall. The P-Trap is another 4-5" further away from wall than sink drain. The issue: I have a 9" 1 1/4" flex pipe connecting the sink drain pipe to the trap. But it's a very tight fit and leaking ever so slightly where the flex pipe meets the sink drain pipe (which I already cut in half to allow more room). Looks like I need a small elbow but the one I bought at Lowes unfort. has threads on both sides. They sell mini-elbows w/threads just on one side so I can marry these pipes?? or, should I just buy a flexible Pop-up assembly drain.. I assume they sell those?

Tom

Last edited by tyanks1; 05-28-08 at 12:10 PM. Reason: follow-up question
Old 05-28-08, 06:14 PM
Tell me something

Is the sink on a vanity top or a pedestal?

What kind of pipe is coming out of the wall?

I assume the pipe from the wall is 1 1/2" id pipe?

Get these answers to me and I will help you fix it correctly.

Old 05-29-08, 10:33 AM
T
hey Mark... sink is on our new 19" vanity

Copper pipe out of wall into copper P-trap is indeed 1 1/2".

I bought a cap w/reducer washer to connect the 1 1/4" flex pipe to the 1 1/2" trap. I can't get the flex pipe "vertical" enough on top of copper pipe to connect perfectly up into the assembly plastic drain pipe from sink... it leaks ever so slightly and not even all the time.

Tom

Old 05-29-08, 02:13 PM
I have 3 solutions,

1 - Add copper drains as needed

2 - Cut copper about 1 1/2" beyond wall into cabinet, then solder on an 1 1/2" copper female adapter. Then convert to pvc by threading 1 1/2" pvc male adapter into copper female adapter and then run new drain to sink, including new trap.

3 - cut copper as above but use an 1 1/2" copper x pvc rubber clamp (Fernco or mission clamp), then repipe with pvc as mentioned above

Old 05-30-08, 10:38 AM
T
thx Mark for the options you listed...

But I'm trying to avoid cutting and sweating new pipe. I am not a plumber & also have never soldered properly the few times I tried it. I'm leaning towards looking for a flex pop-up assembly. I think that will do the trick due to the tight quarters.

Old 05-30-08, 11:14 AM
My 3rd solution requires no soldering and is a much better job. Flex lines have ridges that can get buildup and clog. They also leak very easily.

I understand you not wanting to solder, but I also don't think the cheap way out is best.

Old 05-31-08, 10:19 AM
T
Mark... thx again and I have re-considered. I appreciate the advice and will try Option 3 first since there's no soldering. I assume only a Plumbing Supply house would have that type of connection??? I assume this is similar to compression fittings that Ihave used several times to change out sink shut-off valves.

thx a million! Tom

Old 05-31-08, 12:07 PM
The "big box" stores do carry some of those connectors.
A Fernco style clamp is a rubber connector with 2 SS hose type clamps on each end and come in a multitude of sizes.
A Mission type clamp is almost the same, but the rubber is thinner with a SS metal band all the way around with 2 SS hose clamps to hold it together.

I prefer the Mission style as it is stronger and does not flex or sag after tightening.

Make sure you get a clamp that is for 1-1/2" DWV copper X 1-1/2" PVC pipe.

After the clamp you should replace everything up to the sink. It should only involve an 1-1/2" P-Trap, 1-1/2" x 1-1/4" Pvc desanco (trap adapter), a short piece of pipe, and maybe an 1-1/2" 45* fitting if needed for an offset. Use regular PVC pipe and fittings, cut to length with a hack saw and glued together. If done this way, it will last forever.
When buying the P-trap, I recommend using a trap with a union nut without a clean out. Less money and you can remove the trap completely if needed for servicing. A little bit of faucet grease on the union connection will make life easier. Do not glue the union connection together.

They do have a type of fitting called tubular, which is like the old chrome traps etc. I do not recommend these fittings as they tend to leak more often and are much thinner.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: