drain odor

Old 07-04-08, 10:52 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
drain odor

Hey guys/gals, thanks for your help again. I got two questions for you.
First-There's odor coming from the tub drain. I poured drain fluid down it, but the bathroom still stinks. The odor is coming from the drain. How do I get rid of this problem?
Second- In the same bathroom, the tiolet flushes and drains extremely slow. I figured maybe because the toilet is upstairs and the pressure might be low. How can I get more drain power?

Thanks.

Old 07-04-08, 02:13 PM
C
Received 350 Upvotes on 293 Posts
The tub drain problem and the slow flushing toilet are most likely related. If you have a clogged vent or if the vent system is poorly designed the toilet will flush slowly and it may suck the trap water out of the tub drain as it looks for vent air.

Try clearing the vent (from the roof) and see what happens.

Old 07-04-08, 05:35 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hey there LiLshawn,

"I got" some questions for you.

How long has this been a problem?
How long have you lived there?
Are there a lot of trees very close to the roof?
Have you done any remodeling lately?
How many other bathrooms do you have?
How are they working?
How old is the home?

Though it is possible you have 2 separate problems, I am willing to bet you have a combined problem.

It is possible that you have a vent issue as cwbuff has pointed out in his post.

But before I go climbing up on the roof, I need you to answer those questions.

It is very possible that you have a partially plugged drain.
This drain probably serves the toilet and tub and possibly the lav in that bathroom. IF you do not have individual vents as in a conventional plumbing system of today, then the drain may be used as both the vent and the drain. If you have a partially plugged drain, the pipe is partially filled already, so when you flush, the water fills the pipe, and you lose any room for a vent. This causes a siphoning action on the tub or lav drains because you need replacement air for the water to flow properly. The siphoning action sucks the water out of the tub or lav trap leaving it open to sewer gasses to enter the home.

Please answer the questions so I can be more accurate.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: