sink and shower problems

Old 07-04-08, 01:01 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
sink and shower problems

ok so on my shower the directions for turning is reversed. hot = cold and vice versa. also it only turns about halfway which makes it pretty hot. the pedestal sink in the same bathroom does not have a good flow either. comes out at about medium power as opposed to full blast with the hot or cold or both turned on. we just closed on this house yesterday too! any advice??

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-08, 08:29 PM
Well, congratulations on your money pit, I mean new home.

First make sure it is backwards, because some valves are even confusing to me sometimes. Then If you still feel it is wrong, I would say someone put the cartridge in backwards. Most tub/shower faucets are designed for back to back installations so they can be piped backwards, and just rotate the cartridge inside the faucet to correct the piping.
Sometimes, just the handle is on backwards.

Usually the reason the handle does not turn very far is because of the anti-scald feature of the faucet. Usually behind the handle there is pieces that look like gears or set screws, etc to adjust the anti-scald.
It would help if you knew the make and model of the faucet or if you can take a picture of it and post it to a site like photobucket.com and then post the link here.

The lav faucet could have dirt in it or it could be a cheap faucet. It is also possible it has something to do with the piping. Also check under the sink and make sure the valves are open all the way. Don't forget, just turning on one side may be different than turning on hot and cold together.

Old 07-04-08, 09:28 PM
A
here is the faucet. its not backwards. ED: ok so this pic is sideways. its 90 degrees clockwise so touch your head to your right shoulder to see it correctly.

i took off the face plate but i cant get much further back. here is a pic of it. its pretty tight through the sheetrock and i dont know how far back i can get.

oh and your advice fixed the sink. just turned the knobs more open and ive got full pressure!

Old 07-04-08, 09:47 PM
I was about to tell you they installed the valve completely wrong, Then I finished reading.

There is a set screw in the handle. Remove it and pull off the handle.

And please tell me how you put pictures on this site. I thought you couldn't. Just curious.

Old 07-04-08, 09:51 PM
A
ya i saw that screw (looks like a hex or allen wrench) but didnt know what it is for. im about to make a late night tool run because ive got a few other little honey-do's so ill add a set of allen wrenches to it.

and for pictures. create an account with photobucket, upload any picture file from your computer to the website, then copy the image code from photobucket into this box. presto youve got a picture!

Old 07-04-08, 09:53 PM
after you get the handle off post a picture

Old 07-04-08, 10:10 PM
I have been searching the Delta website and the closest I can find is the 1300 series classic monitor faucet. It just looks like the trim has been updated. But I will know more after the pictures.

Where are you from? No place to go shopping here at 12:04am

Old 07-04-08, 11:01 PM
A
i live in texas and we have wal marts open 24hrs pretty much everywhere! ok so either the size required is in between what i have or the nut is stripped out and wont come loose. any suggestions???

Old 07-05-08, 12:15 AM
Fell asleep for a while,

The only way to get to the inside of the valve is to remove the handle. Keep working at it. Laet me know.

Old 07-05-08, 12:26 AM
A
man im racking my brain trying to figure out how to remove that nut! google has failed me!?!?! you have any ideas? it may be that the 7 piece allen wrench i got just doesnt have the right sized wrench on it? the only thing i came up with is to put the wrench in and fill it with super glue, wait till it sets, then remove it. but then i will have the nut super glued on my allen wrench!?! argh ya got anything???

Old 07-05-08, 03:32 AM
Did you buy a metric set by accident?

If you have standard American size, get the metric size that is in between the one that is too small and the one that is too big.

Some penetrating oil may help.
This screw is usually not super tight

You may want to shut off the water to make it easier work on.

Worst case scenario would be to drill out the screw and either re-tap or replace handle.

Old 07-05-08, 09:51 AM
A
yes it is a metric set. thats all they had. ill go to an auto parts store today and get an american set and see if it works. ill update ya later. and thanks for the help man!

Old 07-05-08, 11:24 AM
A
ok got an american set from lowes and what do ya know it worked! just needed a standard size. ok so here are the pics of it off:

front view:

overhead view:

underneath view:

let me know the next step!!

Old 07-05-08, 11:33 AM
A
ok quick update: rotated the anti scald plate and now we can actually get full turn on the handle and make it colder. now i think that the handle parts were installed backwards which is why you rotate it more to make it colder. ill inspect later, since i fixed something then i am rewarding myself with a round of golf with the boy. plus itll give me a chance to rack my friends brain about sheetrock!